Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

in wall blocking for cabinets

I am in the framing stage of a room that will have base and wall cabinets, and some bookshelf style cabinets (full height floor to ceiling)

I wanted to put some blocking in place to make anchoring them easier so you don't have to find a stud directly, but I'm unsure where to put the blocking... is there generally a certain distance from the top or bottoms of cabinets that you place the anchor screws? I was planning on using 2x6's or 2x8's across the screw in locations

any suggestions on height for these horizonal blockings?

cabinets are just standard kraftmaid cabinets

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Space between base cabinet counters and wall cabinets are about 18" more or less. I'd center the blocking at 20 " over the base cabinet.
If the wall cabinets are at staggered heights, the blocking will depend on the size and layout of the cabinets.
Whatever the layout, I'd place the blocking so it fell 2/3 below the cabinet top. You want the anchoring point in the cabinets to hit the meat of the blocking.
Cabinets over stoves and refrigerators will vary with the size and placement of the cabinets.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I have always just divided the cabinets/shelves/ whatever into thirds, and installed blocking that was big enough to catch the cabinets even after everything is level. Also, if you have the skill/time/etc... consider installing French cleats behind your wall hung cabinets. They can be integrated with your wall blocking, and make for a very sturdy mounting system. Google french cleats for a bunch of options for doing this.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,066

if you know the height at which the cabinets will be simply put the blocking at a height that corresponds to it. if your wall cabinets are 18" off of the base cabinet set the blocking at 19" above the base cabinet then run blocking up to the underside of the top plate
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,304

I used 1x6 in the wall, when I redid my bath, so I would have a place to secure the base cabinet. Figure 30" base cabinet, place the blocking with 2-3 inches above the top of the cabinet, and just toe-screw into the studs, before placing gypsum over the wall surfaces. As for uppers, figure standard height above counter, place the 1x6 blocking in that area, and place one 1x6 block up at the ceiling if going that high, or drop at least 12 inches or so. It takes some trial and error, but helps if you have the cabinet there when doing the rough in.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote