Wall Between Attached Garage & Interior - Waterproofing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Wall between attached garage & interior - waterproofing

New poster here so go easy on me

My basement is on a concrete slab and it is separated by a wall that divides the living space from the garage. The garage side of the wall is 1/4" OSB. Due to some leaks the bottom of the OSB got wet and swelled up. I fixed the leaks and cut off the bottom 5 inches of the OSB.

I need to replace that with something 1/4" wide and fairly water resistant (ideas?). Then I want to put in a waterproof baseboard, maybe 1X6 pressure treated lumber.

The purpose is that I want to be able to pressure wash my garage floor occasionally. The problem is that I can't find 1/4" pressure treated plywood anywhere (alternatives?). Also I'm not sure of the specifics like what caulk to use and where to use it or other ways to waterproof the bottom of the wall and where the wood will meet the concrete slab.

The garage has an AC and I have a dehumidifier to dry the garage out after I pressure wash it. The other walls are concrete block.

I'm open to any ideas but would like to keep the existing 1/4" OSB on the wall. I intend on priming it with oil base primer and then painting it.

Advertisement

Last edited by cham44; 08-20-2010 at 06:49 AM.
cham44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The wall between the garage and the house should have a firecoded 5/8" sheetrock, not a flammable wood product.
Tape up plastic when you power wash.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,464

look on my w/site under waterproofing,,, there's some pretty rubber-based mtl you can apply to the surface which'll stick to clean & dry mtl AND will prevent water penetrating,,, you can clean the conc & make the ' sheet ' continuous,,, its under the ' diy ' button,,, no financial interest - wouldn't sell it to you if you were my brother-in-law

ps - i'm not current on that part of the fire code so i'll bow to the island guy however i THINK its supposed to be dble 5/8" for a 2-hr burn-thru time,,, if not, its still better'n a sharp stick in the eye
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to go with my initial Plan B which is FRP. Just one 4' X 8' sheet is all I needed, cut lengthwise into three 8ft strips that are 16" high placed on the bottom of the wall. Also cut a 4' X '8 sheet of plywood the same way to glue it to.

I just trimmed a bit more of the OSB off the bottom of the wall and nailed the plywood in. I removed the lower portion of the fiberglass insulation that had become wet and I replaced it with 2 inch extruded polystyrene insulation. Sealed it all up with silicone.

Now I just need to prime and paint the OSB. I don't really want drywall on the garage side of the wall but I intend to put drywall up on the interior side. What could I put inside to make it code? Some fire rated drywall perhaps?

Last edited by cham44; 08-20-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #5

You usually need sheetrock on the inside of the house AND the garage side to meet fire codes
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #6

Well I see they make 3/4" type X with a 2 hour rating, is this not acceptable?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #7

It needs to be on both sides, not just one side
Otherwise the studs within the wall will burn
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,038

Visit your LOCAL fire requirements. Some require 20 minute, some 1 hr and more.You need to fire-tape all joints as well. Usually just one coat of mud over the tape. Locality will specify thickness and type of drywall to keep you safe in a fire. (Minimum per Code)http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

Page #4: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #9

Thanks guys, I will look into this.

Advertisement