Walkway Along Side House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Walkway along side house

Hi there,

Wondering if there is anyone who could lend some advise on how to go about putting in a sidewalk along my house.

My issue is that along my house I have a rather steep grade away from my house. So much that its rather difficult to cut the grass there. It can be walked on all that well. I'd like to put the walkway in so I'd have a level surface to and from the my only available entrance to my backyard.

I live in a rather new subdivision so my house was built fairly close to my neighbour. I only have about 40 inches roughly for the walkway.

The grade itself spans this width and is approximately set at a 30-40 degree slope.

I understand the reasoning for the slope but I thought it was a bit exaggerated.
I dont intend to fill in the base of the slope as it would compromise the water run off from the rear of the house also.

So basically, how should I go about this? Should I level it out (leaving I slight grade away of course) and poor concrete? Would it be best to build a deck walkway alongside and just above the graded earth?

I've got to admit I'm pretty puzzled. Not sure what to do here. I'd attach some pictures but we just got a fresh coating of snow so it wouldnt do justice right now.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help I could get on this.

fruz

Advertisement

fruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,522

Walkway along side house

I have to admit I never thought of the deck idea. I think that could be a good one.
Otherwise you will need some sort of retaining wall to hold up the other side of your leveling efforts.
Could you lower the high side to make it level and then install some steps?

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

Walkway along side house

Hi Joe,

I was thinking that also.

The area alongside my house where the steep grade exist spans the entire length of my house and even protrudes a little into my backyard through my gate entrance. The slope is so steep that I had to build a gate with a slanted base to match it to prevent a gaping hole on the low side.

I'll no doubt have to dig out some of the earth from the top of the grade, but I don't know how much I should remove. How much of the foundation should I expose? for the purpose of runoff would it be better to poor concrete? The issue I have here is that it would be a ton of concrete building some sort of retaining wall to hold it could be difficult considering the amount I'd need.

If I chose the decking, how close can I put a ledger to the ground? My concern here would be wood boring insects. Also with the deck, I would most likely have to insert posts along the low side of the grade which means they'll be exposed to water runoff. I do like the deck idea, because I can tie it into a deck I intend to build in the backyard this summer.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 640

Walkway along side house

Sure would be a big help if you would post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Walkway along side house

Okay,

Took some pictures. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Walkway along side house-img_1042.jpg   Walkway along side house-img_1043.jpg   Walkway along side house-img_1044.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,522

Walkway along side house

One idea I see is talking to your neighbour and possibly putting a drainage pipe in and filling it level with some slope to the rear.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #7

Walkway along side house

Good idea. Neighbour rents though and the landlord is the builder. The general direction of slope is towards the front of the house too. Perhaps I would be able to convince the builder.

Advertisement