Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Share |

Walkout Basement extension - Garage in MA

Hi, I need some advice on how to go about having a garage built as an extension of the existing walk out basement. This would be to store a tractor and yard equipment and would be a sealed room attached to the basement. The two outside walls would be cement foundation walls and 6-7ft of backfill would butt up to it. The front wall would be a garage door. The roof I was considering being a rooftop deck but it could be a low slope roof also. (See the attached pictures) The garage would be 20 to 25 ft wide and 12 to 15 ft deep.

How do I go about starting this project? Do I need an architect to draw plans, or do I contact a company that does foundations? I'm in Massachusetts if anyone has any recommendations. Is this something a contractor could handle? Thank you for the help, I greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Walkout Basement extension - Garage in MA-basement-picture.jpg   Walkout Basement extension - Garage in MA-basement-picture-2.jpg  

PharmDiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #2

It would be cheaper and faster to build an outbuilding in a differant area.
Build one there and your going to be dealing with a water issue from day one.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It would be cheaper and faster to build an outbuilding in a different area.
Plus it will be exactly the right size and with more height...
and very likely for less overall cost too.

Quote:
Build one there and your going to be dealing with a water issue from day one.
If anything... I'd look to fill in that low spot and grade the yard better.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post

If anything... I'd look to fill in that low spot and grade the yard better.

hth
I thought about doing that but what would I do with the walkout slider? If I filled in that whole area between the retaining walls it would be over 500 yards of fill? Not sure how else it could be graded.

Last edited by PharmDiy; 03-03-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarifiacation
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #5

I agree with the outbuilding concept. Leave the sliders and have a walkout basement. Instead of a low sloped roof you could have a steeper pitch roof to shed snow better and have a loft area in your garage. A roof top deck requires a minimum slope of 1/4" per foot according to Mass Code. Then you get into ground snow loads in Mass. Where in Mass are you located. your town's location determines the amount of ground snow load you'd have to design for if you still wanted to go with the project as proposed. All this makes "roof top decks" a more expensive way to go.

Nothing in the code requires you to hire a registered architect, though you can. Your best bet would be to find someone knowledgeable and experienced in building design and work with them to develop your design.

As stated I'd go with an outbuilding for your tractor and lawn equipment. Could go with a 4' deep concrete frost wall all around with a concrete slab and 2x4 stick framed walls. Siding to match your home.

If you have any questions do not hesitate in posting. Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Why not buy a prebuilt Amish building? We have one that's 12x30, with a garage door at one end. We could park a car in it (except for all the junk that's there). It was about $5,000, which is likely a lot less than it would cost to do what you're talking about. But, in the end, it's your house and your choice.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 03-04-2013 at 07:57 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Maybe I'm not enough of a pessimist, or maybe it's because I'm a professional but I see no problem with what you want to do. As long as you don't mind loosing the view from the basement, that seems like a natural place to build out. IMO, it's has benefits over a shed for a number of reasons: It will stay far warmer in winter, it's as close to the house as possible, and the structure will make a great foundation for a deck for the first floor. I'm sure you could build a detached shed cheaper, but then you would still have the cost of the deck structure.

I'd seek out referals for a decent general contractor/builder first, and go from there..............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (03-04-2013), PharmDiy (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

I have exactly what you are planning on building (I'm in MA too). My garage/shed was built attached to the garage on one side and the walk out basement on the back wall.

I have a deck on top of the very slightly pitched roof. The roof has a rubber membrane on it and I do not have any leaking issues with it.

I bought the house 2 years ago and the garage was already there so I am not sure how the PO had it contracted. I can also tell that at some point there was an issue of the water leaking from the roof, there are water spots on the ceiling. In the two years I have been here the rubber roof has worked flawlessly.
I also have a heater mounted in the wall which is nice this time of year.

I can take some pictures if there is anything specific you want to see.
NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHtransplant For This Useful Post:
PharmDiy (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtransplant View Post
I can take some pictures if there is anything specific you want to see.
If you could share some pictures that would be great. Just some pictures of the whole garage/shed from a distance could give me some idea of what it could look like finished. Thank your for the help.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #10

this is the view toward the garage door:
[IMG][/IMG]

This is a shot from the side:
[IMG][/IMG]

I have a roll up metal door, not the usual garage door. I believe that was done because there isn't enough head room to do the normal garage door. They had to keep the roof low enough so that the height matched up with the second story to make the roof top deck have access from the slider.

NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHtransplant For This Useful Post:
PharmDiy (03-05-2013)