Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Walkout Basement Door

I have been going back and forth for weeks to wheter installing a walkout door or an egress window in my basement. I have a ranch house about 1300 quare feet and need to create more room for kids. I currently have about 3' of the basement exposed outside and have windows in the place where I would be cuttting out the door or egress window. I really want the install the door because now I only have a 30" door to the basement and can not fit larger items through it. If I install the door I will need to dig out the ground outside and form walls, steps and drainage. My yard i level as can be and drainage would have to be tied into my basement floor drain or a sump door at the exterior door landing. I plan to build the wall and steps with Allan Block reataining wall blocks. I then plan to have a patio door installed. I am worried about the size of header needed above the door. The area where I want to install the door is 88" high. Any suggestions on this project would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

allworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Walkout Basement Door

I door would certainly be more of an asset for your home, and add more natural light. Not to much room for a header. To find out what header you need you will need to specify the load/width of house/ it will need to carry at the lumberyard where you purchase the door...

bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote