Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
nap
You talking to me?

Share |

walk in shower; how to?

I have been considering a walk in shower. I would like to incorporate a tub in the same "room" as well. The problem is, I do not care for tile due to the grout and the uneveness of the tiles and the limitations on edges and corners so I have been looking for a method that would provide what I want.

I ran across this thread:

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=Untitled.flv where a couple posters were speaking of a formed shower that piqued my interest.

I am looking for a method that would allow me to free form the room so the tub would be an integral part of the room. Maybe a bench as well or modification of the tub side or such to make it usable as a bench. Anyway, I would design as desired but need a method of construction that would allow me to do so.

I don;t like sharp corners or edges. I have read some about plasters but am concerned about water saturation and leak through although this would allow me to do exactly what I want to do.

any great ideas from you folks? Since I am merely in the investigative stage, any ideas are welcome.

thanks.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #2

walk in shower; how to?

Well heres an ideal I toyed with for a bit.I was going to do a bath in corian the same suff they make countertops out of.I talked to several people about it and found I could order sheet of it and cut it myself or get exact designs made up send them in and have it premade.When I checked into the cost I found the price was very high since corian is man made and would have to be made just for me.I thought about just sheet of it that I cound make it how I wanted but I was told it would also be expensive and may leave rough edges I guess it dosent cut very well.You would still end up with edges but I was told they can round them off when they make it like drywall edges.It sounded like a good ideal at the time but the cost was my major hangup so if thats an issue then forget this ideal

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

walk in shower; how to?

thanks for the notice. at least it is an idea.

actually, corian cuts quite well with the proper tools. It is acrylic so it can be cut, drilled, routed, and sanded quite well but as you have said, it is expensive. I don;t remember an accurate price but it was several hundred dollars for a a sheet 8'X 3' or 4'.

I didn't realize an individual could purchase the stuff. Several years ago when I was looking into using some for another project, the manuf would only sell to distributors and those distributors would only sell to certified installer shops.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #4

walk in shower; how to?

I knew a guy who ran a remodeling business and was going to buy it through him
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
HomeAdditionPlus.com

walk in shower; how to?

If you want to make a custom walk in shower use shower membrane liner material.

First build your custom shower area using standard studing material. Then build up the shower floor area with concrete such that it slopes towards the drain. Next install a shower membrane liner on top of the concrete floor. Finally install another layer of concrete over the shower membrane liner.

You can get shower membrane liner material at most home improvement stores.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-20-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Link Removed from Signature
mjdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

walk in shower; how to?

the substructure is the easy part. I would like to use a material that is as workable as concrete. Concrete is actually used for this type of thing but I have been reading that it may not be as durable as I desire, especially in the shower area with the direct spray of the shower. I am talking about the enitire room, incuding an integral tub as well.

Tile would remedy that but I do not like grout lines for a variety of reason so that leaves me in a quandry.

One thing that has come to mind, but the work involved would be so extreme it is not getting me excited would be to use terrazzo. If any of you have used or seen terrazzo installed, you will see it is a very labor intensive process. There are synthetic terrazzos available but I have not read enough about them to determine if they would hold up any better than a concrete based terrazzo. As well, we have that labor issue to deal with as well.

I appreciate the continued looks and suggestions though.