Vinyl Tile Prep - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl tile prep

We have concrete subfloors, in our 20+ yr old, split-level home. I ripped up the carpet, repaired the concrete, and figured I'd have to seal it. We had water problems before, due to a broken sump pump, and it got a little wet back there, and it could happen again. ("Simple" projects tend to snowball, as now I have to replace wall board that was hidden behind out freezer and has mold!)

Anyway, the vinyl tile instructions say I MUST put down "Basement Proofer" prior to application. I have it, but applying it won't be easy, since we have a couple of large pieces we don't want to move out of the room, only back and forth as we do the job. Also, the Basement Proofer instructions say that we have to remove any sealer previously applied. I REALLY don't want to do that. We have 2 kids under 2 yrs, and my mom is watching them this weekend only, so time is of the essence.

This website, http://www.depot-tile.com/faq.html#1, says that I should never use a sealer, but Basement Proofer IS a sealer.

Can I get away with just sealing (with the Basement Proofer) the patches? Is it likely that the concrete was treated prior to carpeting?

Rachel

Advertisement

mamawantup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl tile prep

Another question. The same website above says I should have my sub-floor concrete be at a temperature of 65 degrees F or more, but as hot as it is outside, the floor is freezing cold. What should I do?

Advertisement

mamawantup is offline   Reply With Quote