DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Vinyl soffit and fascia (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/vinyl-soffit-fascia-52812/)

msyv 09-11-2009 03:02 PM

Vinyl soffit and fascia
 
Hi all.

I am getting a new roof put on my house due to a hailstorm. In addition to the roof, they are going to put new gutters on the house as well. In preparation for this, I am planning to fix/replace the fascia boards and replace the plywood soffit with hidden-vented vinyl soffit as there isn't adequate ventilation to the roof currently.

I've done a good deal of research on how to install the soffit and feel pretty comfortable with that aspect (I've done vinyl siding before so I comfortable with the concepts).

The question is about the fascia. I would like to put either a vinyl or aluminum fascia cover over the 1 by wood fascia boards. If I go vinyl, how should this be attached? I will have drip edge put on the roof once it is redone, so I don't think the typical vinyl finishing strip will work. Should I face nail the vinyl soffit at the top? Also, how is the bottom held in place? do I nail up through the soffit once it is installed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wildie 09-12-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msyv (Post 326584)
Hi all.

I am getting a new roof put on my house due to a hailstorm. In addition to the roof, they are going to put new gutters on the house as well. In preparation for this, I am planning to fix/replace the fascia boards and replace the plywood soffit with hidden-vented vinyl soffit as there isn't adequate ventilation to the roof currently.

I've done a good deal of research on how to install the soffit and feel pretty comfortable with that aspect (I've done vinyl siding before so I comfortable with the concepts).

The question is about the fascia. I would like to put either a vinyl or aluminum fascia cover over the 1 by wood fascia boards. If I go vinyl, how should this be attached? I will have drip edge put on the roof once it is redone, so I don't think the typical vinyl finishing strip will work. Should I face nail the vinyl soffit at the top? Also, how is the bottom held in place? do I nail up through the soffit once it is installed?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm just a DIY'er but have sided a few buildings over the course of time.
I prefer vinyl siding and soffits, but always use aluminum for the fascia.
It slips up under the 'drip' edging and the joints lap unobtrusively. The ends can be fitted conveniently as well.

msyv 09-12-2009 01:48 PM

As far as the aluminum fascia, can you buy it pre formed so I don't have to rent a brake? I've used a brake once and would prefer not to use it as I am not that good at it.

Wildie 09-12-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msyv (Post 326890)
As far as the aluminum fascia, can you buy it pre formed so I don't have to rent a brake? I've used a brake once and would prefer not to use it as I am not that good at it.

The building centers have pre-formed fascia available. Where I live, we have a custom supplier of aluminum products and they will form any requirements that are necessary!
Perhaps, you have one where you live.

msyv 09-12-2009 05:58 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

As far as attaching the soffit on the outer edge, do you run J-channel on both sides (house and fascia side)?

I've see a few different things on this. One I saw as run it into the J-Channel on the house side and then nail in one of the valleys on the fascia side, using the small trim nails. Won't that hinder the expansion of the vinyl?

Thanks again for your help. I've found most everything thing I need other than these few fine points.

Wildie 09-12-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msyv (Post 326961)
Thanks, I'll check it out.

As far as attaching the soffit on the outer edge, do you run J-channel on both sides (house and fascia side)?

I've see a few different things on this. One I saw as run it into the J-Channel on the house side and then nail in one of the valleys on the fascia side, using the small trim nails. Won't that hinder the expansion of the vinyl?

Thanks again for your help. I've found most everything thing I need other than these few fine points.

I have run J channel on both the house and the fascia. Its more expensive this way!
My present home has the soffit supported by J mold on the house side and the fascia lip is bent at a 45 degree angle from the fascia bottom surface.
The original soffit is wood and the plastic soffit is pressed between the wooden surface and the angled fascia lip.
This was installed by someone else. It was likely more cost effective.
Incidentally, I use 1/2" #8 square head screws for attaching the J mold. Just drive 'em in with an electric drill.

msyv 09-13-2009 05:31 PM

Now the big question. I have plywood soffits up right now and do not have nearly enough ventilation. I am planning on replacing the plywood with the hidden vented vinyl soffit. Everything I have read so far says it is OK to over vent the soffit. It becomes a problem where the roof venting is more than the soffit. Is this something I should put a lot of thought into? I was planning on using the vented soffit all around the roofline (it's a hip roof on a ranch) with a ridgevent.

Wildie 09-13-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msyv (Post 327313)
Now the big question. I have plywood soffits up right now and do not have nearly enough ventilation. I am planning on replacing the plywood with the hidden vented vinyl soffit. Everything I have read so far says it is OK to over vent the soffit. It becomes a problem where the roof venting is more than the soffit. Is this something I should put a lot of thought into? I was planning on using the vented soffit all around the roofline (it's a hip roof on a ranch) with a ridgevent.

It would likely be a lot of work to remove all the plywood soffit.
As long as the cross sectional area of the soffit venting equals the c/s area of the roof venting, vents cut in the plywood should be suffient.
I have seen where perforated vinyl soffit has been placed where the vents have been cut, but its my opinion that this is insuffient, as the vent is throttled.
I would prefer to have too much soffit venting, rather than too little. Otherwise, circulation will be effected!
I would like to hear arguments explaining why too much soffit venting would be a problem.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved