Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl siding and stucco.

I am going to be insulating and siding my house in the next month or so. The house currently has mostly stucco and some existing vinyl. The question I have is whether I should remove the stucco first or just put the insulation and siding over the stucco (as siding contractors typically do around here).

If I leave the stucco on, presumably I'd have to put on furring strips since it's impossible to attach the cap nails for the insulation into stucco. Additionally I'd have to significantly build out the brickmold since there would be 1 inch of stucco, 1 inch of rigid foam insulation plus the vinyl siding.

Now obviously removing the stucco would make the installation of the insulation and siding much easier. At the same time removing 1000 sq ft of stucco is going to be a lot of work and require I pay for a dumpster.

So which is more beneficial in reference to time and money: a) taking the stucco off and renting a dumpster or b) using furring strips and building out the brickmold (and what’s the proper way of doing that)?

Thanks

Last edited by PrairieStudent; 08-16-2008 at 09:18 PM.
PrairieStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #2

Vinyl siding and stucco.

Why do you want to cover up the stucco?

stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #3

Vinyl siding and stucco.

A) Because the stucco is ugly B) Because I'm going to be adding insulation and the government provides a grant if I add insulation.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

Vinyl siding and stucco.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #5

Vinyl siding and stucco.

since you have your mind made up I would say removeing the stucco will be a bit easier to do what your looking at.It may be an expense to get a dumpster be to do the build out may be more hassel.If it werent for that I would say leave the stocco for insulating purposes.I guess if you didnt have much brick work it might be better to do the build out but if theirs alot the go the other way
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
siding, stucco