Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Lost..

Rewards Points: 258

vinyl Siding / Soffit Question

I'm fixing to get started on the vinyl siding on my building I have built. I am buying my siding from a local distributor and one of the guys they have working there used to be an installer. I've never done this stuff, so I'm pretty much going to go forward with whatever advice or instructions I am given. I have the PDF file that has the instructions (about 40 pages long) so I have a pretty good idea of the basics. I've been doing some studying, but I'm still not educated enough or experienced to understand the soffit enclosing teqniques.

My total costs will be about $600 in siding and trim pieces. I don't have the money to do buy it all at the moment, so yesterday I went and got what I could get for about $150. I'll buy the rest in the next few weeks as I get the money saved up.

He told me that I need to go ahead and do my corners, soffits and starter strips, to get them out of the way. So I bought enough starter strip to complete that, four corner pieces, all the vented soffit I will need, and some of the J-channel. I have not bought any of the siding panels yet.

Myself and the guy that used to be the installer were discussing how I am going to do my soffits. You can see here in this picture what I have. There are 1' overhangs all the way around.

[/QUOTE]

After looking at some of the different methods, and talking about it with him, he said an easy way to do it was to put a 2x nailing strip up against the building outside wall, and nail my soffit piece to that. Here is an illustration of what I'm talking about. The normal way would be on the left I suppose, and the way he is telling me to do it would be the one I drew on the right:

The 2x nailing piece is the square yellow box. The siding itself is indicated in green.

My question is, When does the 2x piece need to be added? I was thinking about this, and for some reason I feel like the 2x nailing strip should be nailed on top of the last piece of siding, so as to cover the gap that would be left exposed if it were added after the strip was attached.

I can't figure out that little intersection. Even if I nail the 2x strip to the wall first and run the siding up to it, the soffit piece will also be cut and run up (along the bottom of the 2x) to that corner where it will meet the wall. I know that cut will not be perfect, so what covers that???

He said the reason he used to use a 2x strip like this is because it is way cheaper than f-channel or J-channel, and works just as good. I just can't figure out why he told me to do my soffit pieces first if this strip must nail on top of the siding.

I'm sorry this is so long, I'm just trying to be sure I put enough info out there so you folks can understand me.

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

hi, do your soffit first, channel against your wall. Like pic on the left. siding j trim against the soffit, opening down, siding into j-trim= no gap

craig4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig4 View Post
hi, do your soffit first, channel against your wall. Like pic on the left. siding j trim against the soffit, opening down, siding into j-trim= no gap
can you be more specific on this? I'm not quite sure I understand. You mention J-trim, but isn't that F-trim in the illustration on left?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

you need the small siding trim against the soffit, are you using the large 2-3" trim around your windows or the small 3/4" trim?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Lost..

the only "trim" I have at the moment is j-channel. it is 5/8 j-channel. Here is a picture with the windows in. They are simply aluminum windows, which I was under the assumption would be lined in j-channel all the way around.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,084

I'm going to refrain from answering some our questions, becasue I am sure that there are a number of people here with much more experience with vinyl siding that I have, but, regardless, I would definitely use the channel for the soffit, rather than blocking. Different types of materials expand and contract at varying rates, which is one of the reasons that you hear popping along soffits. One of the things that people often do with trim is to use to many nails, or drive them too tight; with the channel, cut the soffit an 1/8" or so short, so that it does not bind, slip it in place, and let it float.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #7

that's right, I only ask because a lot of people use the larger trim around their windows. You don't have it, so it doesn't matter. The j-trim
goes against your soffit, just like the bottem of your windows
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I'm going to refrain from answering some our questions, becasue I am sure that there are a number of people here with much more experience with vinyl siding that I have, but, regardless, I would definitely use the channel for the soffit, rather than blocking. Different types of materials expand and contract at varying rates, which is one of the reasons that you hear popping along soffits. One of the things that people often do with trim is to use to many nails, or drive them too tight; with the channel, cut the soffit an 1/8" or so short, so that it does not bind, slip it in place, and let it float.
You would still use the soffit trim, I think people use it for a straighter edge,i.e. attach the trim to the 2x2 instead of the wall. I just use a chalk line on the wall
Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #9

http://www.supervinylsider.com/image...cia_-_1_ip.jpg
does this help? It doesn't matter it there is a 2x2 under there or not
sorry it is f trim

Last edited by craig4; 04-09-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Lost..

I found this, it looks exactly like what I am talking about. Except he uses a piece of wide trim or something to butt up to the soffit at the top of the wall.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...yl-siding.aspx

If you look at the pdf version, on the second page down it has a cutaway on a house and looks exactly like what I'm talking about. The is an orange circle with "wide casings relpace j-channel"

I'm not sure if this would be a good way to do it or not.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #11

On the gable ends you need to finish with j channel.On the eaves depending on where you siding ends you'll need undersill to lock siding in.If siding ends on hump you could need both!!2x or f channel this is the best finish!
Jasonlongor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonlongor1 View Post
On the gable ends you need to finish with j channel.On the eaves depending on where you siding ends you'll need undersill to lock siding in.If siding ends on hump you could need both!!2x or f channel this is the best finish!
i think undersill may be the piece I don't know about and am searching for..not sure lol
Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #13

that's right he just used the fat trim instead of j channel. it is only for looks. you can use the 2x2 on the wall if you want but I don't see why.
snap a line on the wall level with your sub facia, 2x4 on the overhang, install f-trim on the line and the sub facia. fill with soffit. Trim all windows/doors/corners/ soffit, wait till payday, buy siding, install. sorry if I wasn't making much sense but I think we got there, Didn't we?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #14

That piece butts up to soffit or 2x nailed with flange down then cut siding gets snap locked into it.It only accepts thin edge of cut siding which why it can't be used on the humps of siding or gable ends and why j is used here.That is the name of it though.
Jasonlongor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Lost..

Yes I'm following you Craig, but I'm still unsure of what could be done. Not saying this guy is right, but he steered me away from j channel right there and f-channel for a reason. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the reason is.

I just thought of somehting else. I'm sitting here picturing myself cutting these pieces of soffit to fit exactly, like the place where it needs to butt up to the wall, and then nailing them. I forgot completely about the way the stuff contracts and expands, so that won't even work. There has got to be some sort of trim in that corner under the 2x nailing strip, whether it be j channel, f-channel, wide trim to cover the gap that will surely show up from time to time be contraction of the soffit piece..

The Following User Says Thank You to J S Machine For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-09-2011)