Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #1

Share |

Vinyl siding question?

I'm buying a new home from a track home builder and although I feel this builder has some well designed and constructed homes, I also feel that they have some silly rules when it comes to vinyl siding.

For instance, if you purchase a home with a full brick face, they match the corners, soffit, facia, and gutters to the siding, which I feel looks very attractive. If your purchase a completely sided house, like I have, all of the components I just mentioned are bright white, which makes the exterior look like a gingerbread house.

So here's my question. If I become anal about this detail, how difficult is it to change the pieces I just mentioned. My biggest concern is the corner pieces, but I don't know if they're installed before or after the actual siding.

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #2

Vinyl siding question?

Soffit,fascia,and gutters can all be replaced relatively easily but the corners are installed first on vinyl siding before ALL the siding. I personally like the white trimming that is currently popular but it seems unreasonable for the builder to limit those choices as the upcharges should be minimal if at all.

pat11784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #3

Vinyl siding question?

I really see no reason why you cant get any color you want. Seems stupid. But to answer your question, changing the j channels and corners would be a major pain after the house is sided.
sjrhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #4

Vinyl siding question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrhome View Post
I really see no reason why you cant get any color you want. Seems stupid. But to answer your question, changing the j channels and corners would be a major pain after the house is sided.
I agree that it's stupid. I didn't event think about the J channel, but after reviewing the photos it appears that they are the same color as the siding. If changing the corners is a pain I'll live with it.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #5

Vinyl siding question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat11784 View Post
I personally like the white trimming that is currently popular but it seems unreasonable for the builder to limit those choices as the upcharges should be minimal if at all.
I didn't know that this was a current trend. Interesting. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:20 AM   #6

Vinyl siding question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
I didn't know that this was a current trend. Interesting. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I personally have never done a job for a customer that didnt choose white trim.

sjrhome is offline   Reply With Quote