Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl siding question

Hi,

I keep getting different answers on this topic. Do you install soffits and j channel before or after siding?

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

Vinyl siding question

Mark,
siding usually runs right up to the underside of the soffit. Siding ends in a piece of finish trim, which is nailed up like J channel. When I am siding a house or garage, I usually run the siding up to the point where the next row will be the last. Then I install the soffit. Once the soffit is up, then I finish the last row of siding. You can put up the soffit first, that won't hurt anything. But when doing a building that has to have some kind of scaffolding set up, you wouldn't want to set up the scaffold just to do the soffits, then tear the scaffold down to start on the siding, then put it back up to finish the siding. Basically you are starting from the bottom and working your way to the top. If you are asking about your shed, you should be able to reach everything off a small stepladder, so it won't matter.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Mark,
siding usually runs right up to the underside of the soffit. Siding ends in a piece of finish trim, which is nailed up like J channel. When I am siding a house or garage, I usually run the siding up to the point where the next row will be the last. Then I install the soffit. Once the soffit is up, then I finish the last row of siding. You can put up the soffit first, that won't hurt anything. But when doing a building that has to have some kind of scaffolding set up, you wouldn't want to set up the scaffold just to do the soffits, then tear the scaffold down to start on the siding, then put it back up to finish the siding. Basically you are starting from the bottom and working your way to the top. If you are asking about your shed, you should be able to reach everything off a small stepladder, so it won't matter.
Mike Hawkins
The reason I ask is because if you put up your soffit and J channel before siding that area then you add a piece of j channel up against the soffit j channel would there a potential for water to get in between the 2 j channels?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Vinyl siding question

it depends on how the final course of siding lands.. if its a larger panel you can run it up past and then install the fchannel for the soffit.. if you end up with a small piece of siding then just tuck it up into j channel that butts to the soffit

vinyl siding gets water behind it more than any other type so i wouldnt worry about it much if you have properly sealed the water.. the biggest misconception with people is that they think the siding is what keeps the water out.. wrong.. make the house water tight first in the prep stage and then the siding is just lipstick on a pig
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Mod

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharmon View Post
The reason I ask is because if you put up your soffit and J channel before siding that area then you add a piece of j channel up against the soffit j channel would there a potential for water to get in between the 2 j channels?
You just need to make sure that the house wrap runs continuously up the wall and beyond the soffit J so that any water that may get in there has a way to escape down the face of the house wrap and not the sheathing.

You'd be surprised on how much rot I've repaired because the house wrap was cut off at the soffit and did not run up behind it.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
You just need to make sure that the house wrap runs continuously up the wall and beyond the soffit J so that any water that may get in there has a way to escape down the face of the house wrap and not the sheathing.

You'd be surprised on how much rot I've repaired because the house wrap was cut off at the soffit and did not run up behind it.
Ron is right. And, truthfully, all of the wall... sheathing, insulation, wraping, brick... whatever...... should be built first, and run up at least 6" past where the soffet will meet the wall. (There IS a bit of a difference if you are stuccoing...)

Nothing looks tackier (and invites infiltration) more than than two "J" chanels meeting up there at right angles. Looks like an after-thought.

This is usually only done by after-market people installing siding "cover-up" over something else.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-02-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Ron is right. And, truthfully, all of the wall... sheathing, insulation, wraping, brick... whatever...... should be built first, and run up at least 6" past where the soffet will meet the wall. (There IS a bit of a difference if you are stuccoing...)

Nothing looks tackier (and invites infiltration) more than than two "J" chanels meeting up there at right angles. Looks like an after-thought.

This is usually only done by after-market people installing siding "cover-up" over something else.
So lets say I'm vinyl siding a house. Your saying I should install it up the where the soffit meets the wall then tack a j channel over top of the vinyl siding then install the soffit panels?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
So lets say I'm vinyl siding a house. Your saying I should install it up the where the soffit meets the wall then tack a j channel over top of the vinyl siding then install the soffit panels?
This is what I'm talking about.....

No matter WHERE the soffit hits the vinyl, in the thin top part, or in the fatter lower section, the single "J" channel fastened to the soffit framing outlookers ( the one that supports the soffit) is the ONLY edge you will ever see... NOT a bulky, double, 90 degree pair of butting "J" chanels.

And this will even work, to large extent, if the vinyl siding is running uphill, out of level a little bit.

One, clean, square "J" channel....... nothing else. It really looks sharp...... AND deliberately planned.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl siding question-soffit-1.jpg   Vinyl siding question-soffit-2.jpg   Vinyl siding question-soffit-3.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Vinyl siding question

Quote:

No matter WHERE the soffit hits the vinyl, in the thin top part, or in the fatter lower section, the single "J" channel fastened to the soffit framing outlookers ( the one that supports the soffit) is the ONLY edge you will ever see... NOT a bulky, double, 90 degree pair of butting "J" chanels.

And this will even work, to large extent, if the vinyl siding is running uphill, out of level a little bit.

One, clean, square "J" channel....... nothing else. It really looks sharp...... AND deliberately planned.
How are you getting that J channel behind the rafter though?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #10

Vinyl siding question

Quote:

When you put in your soffit lookouts you add your ledger board nailed to the building level with the very bottom of the fascia board or actually a little higher to account for the channel depth?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Old School

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
When you put in your soffit lookouts you add your ledger board nailed to the building level with the very bottom of the fascia board or actually a little higher to account for the channel depth?
Yes, a little higher. You do not want to distort the shape of the siding. That's why you never fasten a "J" channel (or an "F" channel) to the siding, if you can help it... It crushes and bends the shape of the siding if you do not use screws, and only draw it down a tiny bit. And it will also prohibit the inevitable necessary movement of the vinyl due to expansion and contraction. Not cool at all... It will cause the vinyl to buckle, in a new york minute!

Of course, you would not waste a piece of siding just to run it way up above where the soffit will hit. A few inches is fine.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-04-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Old School

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
How are you getting that J channel behind the rafter though?
????? The "J" channel doesn't touch a rafter anywhere.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Old School

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
Notice that the outlooker has the interior bottom corner cut off at the siding angle? That's why the ledger (if you even use one..... Some guys don't.) can easily be an inch or two higher than the soffit.

This drawing is EXAGERATED , to give you a clearer idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl siding question-soffit-ledger.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 05-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #14

Vinyl siding question

Quote:
????? The "J" channel doesn't touch a rafter anywhere.
the blue siding in the picture what is the top of the siding attached to?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #15

Vinyl siding question

Quote:

That piece of wood in the picture is a lookout?