Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl Siding Question!

I purchased a spare length of vinyl siding so that I can replace a panel on my house that got damaged by the string trimmer. When I picked up the panel at the warehouse, I had to cut it in order to fit into my SUV. Cutting with a utility knife proved to me that if I want a straight cut, the utility knife isn't going to work.

So, what's the best way? Use a hacksaw with a straight edge as a guide, or a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade, also with a guide?

Also, I'm going to have to fashion some sort of hook to pull the top piece from it being attached to the bottom damaged piece. Has anybody ever improvised with something? I saw the removal tool at the warehouse, but didn't want to spend $8 for something I would use once.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Weekend Builder

Vinyl Siding Question!

1) Take a table saw (or compound miter saw set to zero), reverse the blade (yes, it will cut backwards) and cut the vinyl.
2) There is a cheap tool to remove the damaged vinyl; it has a hook at the end; works great. Otherwise I have used a bent screwdriver with a dull edge. Remember, you are dealing with the outside of your home, it needs to work and look good!

Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #3

Vinyl Siding Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackers View Post
1) Take a table saw (or compound miter saw set to zero), reverse the blade (yes, it will cut backwards) and cut the vinyl.
2) There is a cheap tool to remove the damaged vinyl; it has a hook at the end; works great. Otherwise I have used a bent screwdriver with a dull edge. Remember, you are dealing with the outside of your home, it needs to work and look good!

Thanks for the advice. Does the table saw blade need to be fine toothed?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #4

Vinyl Siding Question!

I tried the 140 tooth blade turned backwards on my skilsaw when I did mine.... wasn't crazy about it. It will chip the siding when you get to the edge unless you have it perfectly flat and out of a bind. I prefer using the snips to cut vinyl siding.
martyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
I have gas!

Vinyl Siding Question!

I was trying to break up some vinyl siding for disposal and quickly found out that cutting with circular saw sends shards of sharp plastic right at your face. I had the blade installed the normal way, though.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Weekend Builder

Vinyl Siding Question!

I used a 40 and a 60 tooth 10 inch blade on my miter saw. No problems with either. The key seems to be a slow cut (feed it slowly). I tried it on the table saw and it wasn't as nice (the board bounced around a bit).

So I like the miter saw; it seems to keep the board stable.
Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #7

Vinyl Siding Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackers View Post
I used a 40 and a 60 tooth 10 inch blade on my miter saw. No problems with either. The key seems to be a slow cut (feed it slowly). I tried it on the table saw and it wasn't as nice (the board bounced around a bit).

So I like the miter saw; it seems to keep the board stable.
I have a 12" Ridgid Miter Saw...I suppose a sliding one would be better for the typical 8" width panels, but we shall see. I might also try the hacksaw to see how that works. Edges on vinyl siding are covered anyway, so the cut I think may not need to look perfect.