Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Vinyl siding on the overhang area

I have a question on the detail of how to handle the first row of siding on the overhang area of my house. I plan to use solid soffit on the under side, but am not sure how to start the course up the wall so that it covers up the J-channel that will hold the soffit. Do I hang the starter strip lower or start the first course in the J-channel? Starting in the J-channel does not seem desireable as it will catch and hold water. What is the typical approach to this area of buildings. Thanks!

russiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Got a picture.
Trying to figure out what you mean by covering up the J moulding. It's slid into the J not over it.
Sounds like you talking about two differant things in one question.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 16

Use a starter strip at the bottom. Finish at top with undersill trim. Support the soffit with F channel as opposed to J.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

So I hang my starter strip a little lower than I would normally right? In this case I would want the lower edge of first course of siding to be flush with the F channel holding the horizontal soffit. Does anybody have a sample photo of this area. None of the siding instructions ever go into this type of a transition in particular.
russiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 6

run your starter strip where you plan on doing it. and install j channel along the overhang for the siding to tuck into.. for the soffit use. previous poster says to use f channel.. you can but only where the soffit buts into the house.. where the overhang is you need something to hide the edge of the soffit that should be done with custom bent aluminum coil stock either as your fascia cladding or as a L flashing which will run up the wall of the bump out that overhangs.. without a picture of the house i cant give you the exact detail to use.. with vinyl theres several ways of making it look clean but it varies from situation to situation
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

As mentioned above, there are a few ways to do this. It really depends more on the look that you want. Hang the starter so that the bottom edge of the first course of siding hangs down flush with the face of the soffit, or you can incorporate j-channel. You will get some water running behind the vinyl siding but not a ton that is going to pool up in that j-channel. Plus, if it is running down the wrb, a lot of it will flow right behind the J anyway... That is why flashing window and door openings properly is SOOOOO critical with vinyl siding. You don't worry about the top piece of j-channel accumulating too much water above a window or door opening, right? Same here.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Child Alert! Pull Up!

I have always used 1x8 or 1x6 (PVC) trim board, as shown in pictures, sorry, I couldnt find a finished or final photo that shows the trim along the front of the house. The soffit is all pvc as well. The trim board was about an 1" - 1&1/4" lower for reveal, and for the soffit to fit up inside. Doesn't mean you have to use pvc, but we always replace any wood trim with pvc.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl siding on the overhang area-img_4169a.jpg   Vinyl siding on the overhang area-img_4170.jpg  
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fltdek For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (01-17-2013), woodworkbykirk (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

nice work
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
nice work

Thanks HomeSealed! Very much appreciated! Only two of us that did that house, took awhile, we tried to pay attention to the details.....more so than what the HO would have noticed.....so it was worth it.
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 6

i like the metal lip to hold the soffit. but i would have had the siding further down so you dont have that large chunk of white.

also the having hte metal run up the wall behind the house wrap is imperative as a flashing to keep water from running down the wall down on to the soffit then into the lower section of wall.

ive lost count of how many homes ive had to repair walls that have improperly flashed roof intersections along with windows and doors

Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 01-17-2013 at 06:51 PM.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote