Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
C&D

Share |

Vinyl siding over wood clapboard

My aluminum siding is old, faded and dented, so I've decided to replace it with vinyl. I was assuming under the aluminum there would be a flat surface, but instead the aluminum siding has a profiled back insulation that gives the siding a flat back and was applied directly over 8" clapboard.
I want to keep the clapboard in place, do I need to hang some type of insulation board to give me a flat surface? If so, how thin can it be?

Thanks.

C&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #2

Will the new vinyl fit into the insulation that the alum siding uses? You would need to have the same size to do that but it may work.

I re-sided my house. I had 4" wood clapboard. To get a flat surface I attached 1/2" form insulation to the wood siding. The sheets are 4x8 and cost approx $13 each.

You could always apply the vinyl over the aluminum...but that would be a bit odd.

Are you completely against painting the aluminum? I just bought a new house that has painted aluminum siding that looks great. I did not know it was painted until I looked closely.

Good luck.

Dave

ewingda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D View Post
My aluminum siding is old, faded and dented, so I've decided to replace it with vinyl. I was assuming under the aluminum there would be a flat surface, but instead the aluminum siding has a profiled back insulation that gives the siding a flat back and was applied directly over 8" clapboard.
I want to keep the clapboard in place, do I need to hang some type of insulation board to give me a flat surface? If so, how thin can it be?

Thanks.
I would leave the aluminum on if little needs repair. Get an estimate to have the aluminum repaired & painted and compare that price with estimates to have all new vinyl installed. Repair/replace the bad sections of the aluminum. Paint the entire house. Aluminum siding adds more value to the resale of the house then does vinyl.

p.s.

If you do decide to have vinyl installed then the aluminum should have some scrap value.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #4

No way can you install vinyl over the aluminum siding. Remove the aluminium and install foam insulation ( probaly no more than a 1/2") then vinyl.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote