Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |

Vinyl Siding Installation

The house is currently sided with T-111. It sucks and it leaks around nail holes. I intend to put vinyl on the house, since it is a simple DIY project and each panel doesnt weigh a hundred pounds. I intend to replace the really rotted parts (like where water damaged it by the hot water heater) and around both doors since its bad, and possibly a strip around the windows, all before the new siding goes on.

My question is, is the old siding sufficient to use as sheathing? If i wrap it with Tyvek paper, would it be sufficient to hold out water and to keep the new siding in place? Or do i need to remove all of the T-111 and replace it with OSB?
Im a complete newbie at siding, even though i know the basics of how to install it.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Home Performance

Depends on condition, but most often you can go right over t-111. There are certainly some drawbacks (windows will look "inset", addressing of flashings, ect), but most commonly I see it gone over.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

most of it is in good condition. Like i said there are a few spots that are bad, like where there was water damage and around the doors and a few windows, but the majority of it is strong and sturdy.

One more question, when i put the top sill trim on the vinyl, usually you are supposed to put it up against the eaves, but my house doesnt have eaves. It has zero overhang, so can i caulk along the top of the top sill trim to keep water out? I know you are not supposed to caulk where panels meet or at corners but can i do it along the top edge where water will have immediate access?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Got a picture of the outside?
Trying to get a water tight seal around all the windows, door and at the roof line if there no over hang will be a big challange.
Better get that roof fixed before moving onto the siding.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

ive got one of the damage. See attached. And normally i would agree but i think the siding is higher priority at the moment, considering the fact the while the roof does not leak, the siding is pouring water inside. Ive used two cans of spray foam and i still have water coming in. I need to get it wrapped at least, to keep the water out. It doesnt leak around windows or doors, (well since i replaced the back door anyway) just in the normal walls. Believe it or not, the damage where you see the giant hole doesnt leak at all. Ive got one of the back door and the hack job that they called a door jamb but it wont upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl Siding Installation-water-damage-outside.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

sorry to be a bother but i really need to know about caulking the top edge of the top sill trim. Can i do it, or what would be a better way to keep the rain from slipping between the house wrap and the siding?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Who want's to be the first to say it?
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Go ahead Joe. If I could, I'd click the "Thanks" button for you right now.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
joecaption (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
JOATMON

Joe...be nice.....the OP really is trying hard....and so far looks to be doing a decent DIY job........

But.....somethings are.....well.....just too far gone....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
DexterII (01-25-2013), joecaption (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #10

Bingo. No one wants to hear it, but at some point reality needs to set in.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-25-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #11

You should have some kind of physical cover over the vinyl channel. Roll flashing may adapt to your work. Look over the metals used in roofing.
I've used a flashing tape called eternabond to repair really difficult points on a low slope (essentially flat) roof. Using their primer, the tape is holding really well in 4 season weather for about 6 years now.
Using just the caulk is worse than taping that joint with a duct tape.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

Do what? How does that have anything to do with trying to fix what's in that picture?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #13

im not trying to fix whats in the picture. im just going to replace that piece of siding. joe asked for a pic of the outside, thats what i had. my question was about sealing the top trim of the new vinyl siding once it has been put on. i know this siding is too far gone. its pretty well trashed and will be replaced. but even after replacing it im still covering it with vinyl
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #14

ok i did some more research and it turns out carpdad is right. i can use self-stick mastic-backed flashing adhered to the roof edge, and adhered to the top sill trim of the vinyl siding. it will protect against water and works without an eave, plus it will protect the edges of the current roof. Thanks for all of the help. Now we play the waiting game, until the IRS can issue my refund and i can buy the siding.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
AHH, SPANS!!!

you might have to pull some trim at the roof line to get the vinyl to set back enough to clear the 1" shingle over hang. do you have a pic of the roof line detail.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote