Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Mr. Handy

Share |
Question

Vinyl Siding Help Needed

I will be installing vinyl siding on my house. I realize that you should start with the lowest point on the house. My siding is a double 4" (8 inches of coverage per piece). My lowest point is less than 8" below the next/adjacent wall. Of course we want to keep the siding in-line as we turn the corner on the other wall. What do I do with the space below the siding that will not be covered by the siding panel as we work on the adjacent wall? I hope my description is clear enough.

In other words, if i install the siding on the porch/East side, and continue on to the adjacent/South side the starter strip for the South side will not be lower by the same amount as one panel (8") of siding.

Last edited by swiederin; 10-23-2011 at 06:47 AM.
swiederin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Mod

Vinyl Siding Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiederin View Post
I realize that you should start with the lowest point on the house.

Not necessarily. With VS it’s not always possible to have a wall start with a full coarse. In that case you start the partial coarse in utility trim.

What is important is you layout the house so you end up with a full starter course on the front of the house.

If you want to start on the lowest part of the house that’s fine but layout may dictate that the lowest wall begins with a partial coarse.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #3

Vinyl Siding Help Needed

As Kwikfishron mentioned, it isn't always possible to use starter strip and have it level all around the house. As you move to this next part of the home instead of starter strip you are going to run a J-Channel at the bottom of the wall and cut the bottom of the panel as needed to sit in the J and have the top of the panel even with the panel on the other wall section. I drill or punch weep holes in the bottom of the J.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #4

Vinyl Siding Help Needed

Sounds like you are a little lost on the installation. One of the most basic steps to the installation actually.
I suggest you go here http://www.vinylsiding.org/installation/manual/ download the installation manual and make yourself very familiar with it before you start your project. Vinyl siding is simple to install it is also easy to easy to bugger up. Sometimes an installation will look good while allowing water intrusion to damage your home. Make sure you are not that guy.

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rock16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Vinyl Siding Help Needed

you can get starter strip in galvanized steel in different widths that may help,or you can bend your own

starting in a j is not my preferred method,i would use a short course if needed
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote