Vinyl Siding Brands - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

vinyl siding brands

Hi,
I am looking for some opinions on vinyl siding brands.
At Home Depot I can get the Cellwood brand. the Dimensions line would be my choice, it is .44 thick and has a profile of 5/8. Seems to be the best they sell.

From Menards, I can get TimberCrest Premium @ .46 with 3/4 profile. Monogram® 46 @ .46 and 3/4. or
Classic™ @ .44 and 5/8.
What are the thoughts on these brands, from installers, home owners, etc...? The TimberCrest and 46 seems similar, but there can be as much as $5.00 difference in price per piece. I usually believe you get what you pay for, but know that is not always the case. We don't plan on being in this house in 5-10 years, but you never know.

I know HD will give me an additional discount because I will be spending over a certain amount, so that is some extra incentive.

I would really like to use Crane siding, but this needs done ASAP, and we don't have that much. It is about $1500 more than the most expensive 46 with fan fold under it.

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.

thanks,
Michael

Advertisement

mbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

vinyl siding brands

it can be junk. I have had steel siding, wood siding, masonite, and vinyl siding. All have there advantages and disadvantages, and the best one out of those that I had was the vinyl. But it was good vinyl done by a handy man that worked by himself. And in a small town, one bad job could mean he didn't work in that town again. Now, I have encountered vinyl that was the cheap .40 thick or thinner installed by a crew that was more interested in a paycheck then doing a good job, and that is junk. It was a waste of money in my opinion. If all you are going to do is bash vinyl, and not offer constructive opinions on the brands from personal experience, then don't respond.

Thanks,
Michael

Advertisement

mbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

vinyl siding brands

Anyone that would suggest that vinyl will only last a few years has no clue what there talking about.
The newer vinyls are light years ahead of the stuff being made 20 years ago.
More UV protection, no more chaulking, less faiding.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

vinyl siding brands

I have Georgia Pacific Cedar Lane vinyl that I installed myself 5 years ago. Looks as good as the day I installed it. Be aware that it is twice the price of builders grade vinyl.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

vinyl siding brands

ive installed several brands of vinyl and have found the stuff sold at big box stores to be the worst to use.. it doesnt stay locked as well, plus its more brittle.. the same can be said about certainteed 's bottom of the line vinyl... if we are using it we cut it with mini grinders equipped with a steel cutting wheel

more often than not if we are hanging vinyl we use "royal" brand. it stays locked, its more resiliant. were known for our siding detail but its mainly do to the wood and fibre cement jobs we do
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cellwood , timbercrest , vinyl siding