Vinyl Siding Below Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

vinyl siding below door

hi all building my 8x8 shed going to putting on kaycan vnyle siding on it , but i'm not sure what to do below my entry door, i have brick mould for it that will go on soon. wonder what my best option is.

install vinyle sideing below the door
install metal flashing below the door and run my brick mould past my door to the bottom of floor ,

or any other options,

im worried the j channel of the siding will get steped on and cracked unless maybe i take out my metal step plate let it stick out a bit and put the jchannel under it.

Advertisement

ex-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 730

vinyl siding below door

I use 1 X 6 or 4" Vinyl lumber attached with stainless steel trim head screws pushed up tight under the threshold.
Than J mould around it.
Run it all the way out to the outside edges of the vinly brick moulding so the J will cover up the ends of the vinyl lumber.
You also need to flash that door opening before the door goes in.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=4

And add a strip of Z moulding over the top of the door before the J goes on.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

vinyl siding below door

love the idea about the Vinyl lumber , that woudl be liek the new decks they have it made of the plastic sold material right? , wold be perfect !

thanks so much !
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

vinyl siding below door

Nope, just 3/4 vinyl lumber will work.
Main thing is it has to sit under the threshold not ever stick out past it.
I've made a ton of money when some builder cheaps out and uses a pressure treated 2 X 4.
It ends up acting like a funnel and rots out the subfloor and rim joist.
Ching ching, show me the money.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

vinyl siding below door

I imagine you put the door in backwards so you'll have more room for stuff in the shed.

BUT...you do know it's going to bind on the J-channel and you won't even be able to open it up as much as you have it now.

How to resize photos to post them here.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

vinyl siding below door

Why does the threshold on that passage door not stick out past the sheathing?
Somethings off. Is this a DIY door frame?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #7

vinyl siding below door

the threshhold doesnt stick past the sheeting as i wasnt thinking , its going to be moved out tomorrow then my jtrim will go under it , this way it wont get crushed, yes was just a frame i made up for the door.

as for my door being backwards , lol guess what i found out about an hour before reading this post , yes my door doe snot hit my brick moulding i put around the door but it still opends almost all the way as far as a wide opening goes , this is a 36" door so it is verry wide.

i have a quick Question , when doing the vinyl siding and the j channel , i put the drip cap on top of the window under the house wrap and seal it ect..

does j channel then go ontop of the drip cap ? to hold the siding that will be above the window in .

i seen lots of vids on how to add the drip cap on doors and windows but not what to do about jchannel on top after.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

vinyl siding below door

A drip cap is what goes on the edges of a roof, Z moulding goes above doors and windows.
Should have been a flap of house wrap left out above the window, the Z moulding installed then that flap get fliped over the Z moulding and cut so it just covers the Z moulding, then the J moulding and last window wrap is run up the sides and across the top.
It's been suggested to not use it on the bottom of the nailing fin so water has a way out.

When you run the siding over the top of the window any of the bottom of the siding you cut out you lay it in the J moulding over the window then install the siding.
What that does is push the siding out so it stays tight againt the inside of the J moulding.
Under the window you use utility trim, also call undersill trim to hold the siding flat.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=2
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

vinyl siding below door

this is the piece i have here http://www.homedepot.ca/product/wind...p-white/966825, does this sit on top of the window , then j channel goes on top of it ?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #10

vinyl siding below door

That will work fine.

Advertisement

ex-28 (04-23-2013)