Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Vinyl Siding

Dear Experts,

Since my house was built in 2004 I have had a critter of some sort living in my bedroom wall. They are nowhere in the house, only in the walls. I've hired six pest control/wildlife experts and while we have found some entry points I'm still plagued with this problem. One of the ways they're getting in is underneath the vinyl siding. I bought a fiber optic snake camera to see behind the wall and they are really doing some damage in there. They are in the wall where all of the electrical wires come into the house. It's amazing they have chewed on any. The fuse box sits below that wall in the basement.

I have a contractor working with me now and even he is stumped as to how they're getting in. I really need to know what I can put up underneatht he siding to prevent them from getting in.

Thank you,
Monae

Monae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Vinyl Siding

From dealing with rats, we've filled holes with course steel wool and sprayed in expanding foam so that the steel wool will be embedded. But our exterminator advised us to only do this once the rats are gone because they don't like change and if we did it while they were still alive, we'd more likely see them trying to find another route which might include inside the house.

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

Vinyl Siding

Mouse proofing a house that has already been built is a tall order. I never believed mice could climb brick until I saw one go zipping up 10' of brick wall on the corner of our home!

There are so many areas that, if they weren't properly detailed during construction, will either be near impossible to find or to expensive to repair.

Some possible ones:

1. Missing sheathing under the cantilever for brick facade.
2. Improperly sealed holes for service lines, drains, branch circuits, etc.
3. Garage doors that don't seat tight to the weather lip
4. Windows and doors installed improperly

I'm sure there a few dozen I'm letting slip.

When you consider a mouse can push through a hole the size of a pencil, you can see how hard it would be.

Traps, traps and more traps. Make the area around the home as unattractive to mice as possible. Remove brush, wood piles etc.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

Vinyl Siding

Any rodent that eats dry grits will have their tummies explode and they will die. Trouble is- where they die they stink.
Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote