Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

Vinyl Siding

I have hired a contractor to install vinyl siding on my home and he said that they do not use the Tyvek Wrap that it doesn't let the house breath, they only use the 3/8 insulation board. Is using only the insulation board the correct procedure to install vinyl siding? Is this an adequate barrier between the house and the vinyl siding?
abbychelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

Vinyl Siding

#1 Please go back and add your location to your profile. Makes a big differance.
And his info is wrong.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #3

Vinyl Siding

Is the existing siding material being removed so that the siding, or foam board and siding are being installed directly over the sheathing? Is this the 4 X 8 rigid foam board, rigid "fan fold" or is this the foil faced "fan fold"? Is the existing siding being left in place? Fill us in on some more of the details.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
registered

Vinyl Siding

I have never seen a vinyl job done without house wrap. You also want to make sure its properly taped around windows and doors and at seams in wrap.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #5

Vinyl Siding

The house is 92 years old. The existing aluminum siding is being removed. The original wood siding is underneath and I believe that it will be left on. I'm not sure if they will be using rigid or foil fan fold. The contractor has been in business for 35+ years but I'm not sure how he determined that the house will not breath if wrapped.
abbychelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #6

Vinyl Siding

The whole idea of house wrap is so the house can breath.
Moisture as a vaper will go through it, but beads of water like what forms on the back side of any siding from condinsation will just run off of it.
If it was me I also would have it in the contract to pad out all the window and door trim and have it wraped in PVC coil stock.
The reason being is the J moulding on there now is narrower then what's going to be needed for the new vinyl siding. If it's not padded out water will get in behind the J moulding and rot out the wood behind it.
Any plans to also install replacement windows at the same time as the siding?
If so the windows need to be padded out and wrapped first, before the windows or siding are installed.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #7

Vinyl Siding

U always use fan fold over old wood lap siding. It gives u a flat surface for the vinyl siding. If the old wood lap siding was being ripped off too I would want the house warped in tyvex. But going over the old wood siding with just 3/8 fan fold is the correct install.
smyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Vinyl Siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbychelsea View Post
I have hired a contractor to install vinyl siding on my home and he said that they do not use the Tyvek Wrap that it doesn't let the house breath, they only use the 3/8 insulation board. Is using only the insulation board the correct procedure to install vinyl siding? Is this an adequate barrier between the house and the vinyl siding?
Problem number 1 right there. They don't know the first thing about their products.

Tyvek most certainly does allow for moisture to dry through to either side and is a definite plus in terms of the weather resistant barrier.

Problem 2 is they are specifying what type of fan fold they are using. If they are using polyethylene or foil faced fan fold, they are effectively putting a class 1 or 2 vapor retarder on the outside of the home and if they seal the gaps up tight in that layer, they could be creating an issue.

Make sure they specify what they are doing and 100% do the trim details as Joe mentioned to pad out the windows. Very easy to do and makes for a much cleaner and effective installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post
U always use fan fold over old wood lap siding. It gives u a flat surface for the vinyl siding. If the old wood lap siding was being ripped off too I would want the house warped in tyvex. But going over the old wood siding with just 3/8 fan fold is the correct install.
You should always use Tyvek or another WRB as part of any siding install. It is cheap insurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Vinyl Siding

Definitely use house wrap, and 3/8 insulation is a bit paltry. Most installers around here use 3/4 inch. And as mentioned, a good installer will wrap windows and doors (and fascia) with trim coil. Trim coil is pvc-coated aluminum and its application is what really makes a siding install work.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Roofmaster

Vinyl Siding

The Vinyl Siding Association states that secondary moisture protection is needed below vinyl siding, especially at doors and windows and other penetrations.

In residing your house, you have two issues:

Driving rain, and Vapor drive. Driving rain is an incidental problem. Vapor drive is a constant problem. Now I have been reading a lot of posts by a lot of people on this forum. Some understand vapor drive, but most don't.

The funny part of all this is that the things that my dad told me back when I was 10 years old all seem to be turning out to be true. He clearly did not know the math behind the reasons, but his advice has proven to be correct almost all of the time. One of his favorite statements was "Jim, you dont want the house to be too tight. You have to let it breathe"

Now stick with me here. Dwellings are dynamic. there is a drying season, and a wetting season. In the summer time, when you have the AC cranked up, the vapor drive is in toward the interior. that is the wetting season. In the winter time, when you have the heat cranked up, that vapor drive reverses and moisture gained over the summer time by building components leaves the matrix.

If you have a vapor barrier in the wrong place, it retards the drying process, and the system in question will be "Pumped Up" with moisture.

That is why the rule of thumb is ALWAYS "When in doubt, leave it out"

Where does all this lead to? I guess my advice.

If This was my house, I would not install the house wrap, and I would not use a faced insulation. I would, however, make sure I prevented moisture intrusion around openings like doors and windows, to prevent the aforementioned "Incidental" moisture intrusion due to driving rain. I would do this with an SBS peel and stick material like Ice Dams Protection Membrane.

I think your contractor is on the right track.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

Vinyl Siding

this sums up argument on tyvek
http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weather..._homewrap.html

just remember this tyvek brand house wrap and not all house wraps are the same

also the most important thing is to seal around windows and door correctly since they are the number one place for water penetration

Last edited by jaydevries; 06-12-2013 at 06:54 PM.
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote