DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Vinyl Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/vinyl-siding-1627/)

jeffhomeowner 01-10-2006 07:31 PM

Vinyl Siding
 
Hello,
My name is Jeff. My wife and I are in the process of building a home. I stumbled across this website and it seemed very interesting. Our house is in the process of being sided. We are using double 4" vinyl siding. The siding that has already been installed is very very wavey. I talked to the builder and at first he said it is cheap siding. He then said that had we gone with dutchlap you wouldn't see waves. He then said that after it lays for a while it will straighten out on its own.
Any suggestions??

jeffhomeowner 01-10-2006 07:39 PM

Could somebody online please respond by saying hello so I can see how a response works?

bmf5150 01-10-2006 10:30 PM

hello

THEBIGPUNN 01-11-2006 09:47 PM

jeff, something doesnt sound right. siding should not be wavy! it should lay flat. it could be cheap siding or an installation problem. siding is very easy to do.

747 01-12-2006 12:25 PM

Your getting screwed. Inproper installation or something else is going on. Unless its some cheap crap vinyl and then why would you be allowing that to be put on your house.

jmic 01-12-2006 06:23 PM

Also could be when they framed the house that they didn't bother to place all the studs crown facing out, thus placing them any which way but loose, gives you the wavy wall. So lets blame the cheap vinyl siding.:rolleyes:
Joe

747 01-13-2006 10:27 AM

Good point I forgot about that. You know that could be it. I would be pee'd if it was. A good builder should know that meaning crowning studs before installation.

Terra Firma 01-13-2006 05:49 PM

I just put up 15lb. felt on the side of my mother's house and on the roof of her tool shed. Problem is that it started raining once I finished and I couldn't get a tarp up on it. I gave it 2 days to dry but now it's supposed to pour tomorrow. I don't have the siding on the wall or the shingles on the roof or a tarp on it. I would hate to drive 2 hours to put up a tarp in the dark, on a roof, but I will if I have to.
SO I guess my question is do I have to go and tarp it or will the tarpaper(15#) handle the downpours?
Any quick help would be great 'cause if I have to go I better get on the road.
Thanks,
Dan
ps The house is at the Jersey Shore.

Terra Firma 01-13-2006 06:57 PM

I spoke to AaronB from the roofing forum and he was a great help. It would seem that the felt blowing off would be a bigger issue than rain. I should of asked him how long to wait to put down the siding after the rain. Anyone know if I have to wait for the tar paper to dry out or just make sure that there are no droplets on it?

747 01-14-2006 07:21 AM

Aaron B is the man when it comes to roofing.

bob the builder 01-17-2006 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffhomeowner
Hello,
My name is Jeff. My wife and I are in the process of building a home. I stumbled across this website and it seemed very interesting. Our house is in the process of being sided. We are using double 4" vinyl siding. The siding that has already been installed is very very wavey. I talked to the builder and at first he said it is cheap siding. He then said that had we gone with dutchlap you wouldn't see waves. He then said that after it lays for a while it will straighten out on its own.
Any suggestions??

I have worked with many new home construction jobs. I can tell you right now that your builder doesn' t care about you because of his comments. The reality is there are alot of cheap homes going up now days. Some builders get the cheapest siders in town for their subdivisions. My guess is that the siding was probably nailed to tight, but it definatley could be the framers. One thing you could try is see if you can slide the wavy siding back and forth. It needs to do that for expansion/contraction. I would question your builders integrity on other areas of the house if he is going to give you answers like he did......

Bob

jeffhomeowner 01-23-2006 08:32 PM

I have heard this theory before. What can be done to fix it?

jeffhomeowner 01-23-2006 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob the builder
I have worked with many new home construction jobs. I can tell you right now that your builder doesn' t care about you because of his comments. The reality is there are alot of cheap homes going up now days. Some builders get the cheapest siders in town for their subdivisions. My guess is that the siding was probably nailed to tight, but it definatley could be the framers. One thing you could try is see if you can slide the wavy siding back and forth. It needs to do that for expansion/contraction. I would question your builders integrity on other areas of the house if he is going to give you answers like he did......

Bob

Thanks Bob,
I agree with you. There are other areas of concern that I am starting to doubt the integrity of my builder. This is the first home I have ever built and I can promise you it will be the last. the siding feels very loose. Many people have told me that it is installed poorly. The sider started siding the house in early November (in Iowa) and to date it still is not completed. I guess he is doing this job as a side job for our builder who he just bought a spec home from the builder and is doing our house as a part of the down payment on the spec house. Believe it or not, our builder is a very reputable builder in my town of 12,000 and am very disappointed with the way he responds to the flaws that we point out. One example is with the drywall down our hallway. You can see evident flaws in the finished/painted drywall. When I pointed it out to the builder, he pointed to the dimmer light switch and said dim the lights and you will never see it. This comment floored me. We are scheduled to close within the next couple of weeks and as it stands right now, I am not going to accept the siding or drywall. What rights do I have?

KenTheHandyMan 01-23-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

You can see evident flaws in the finished/painted drywall. When I pointed it out to the builder, he pointed to the dimmer light switch and said dim the lights and you will never see it.


That is completely amazing! Check your contract, you should have all kinds of rights for not accepting things if they don't fit the bill. I used to work with a contractor that would repaint an entire wall if a sub dinged one little spot on it...without the homeowner even saying anything.

Ditto on the crowning studs and also on the nailing too tight. Either one of these could cause this problem.

gkmotion 02-03-2006 10:01 AM

Where are you in Iowa? If you're near the Quad Cities I might know some people that could help.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved