Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl replacement windows

Any opinions on good vinyl double hung windows? I need to replace the builder grade ones that came w/ the house. Andersen and Pella seem to make a good product. I need a good mid range window nothing high end.

First timer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by First timer1 View Post
Any opinions on good vinyl double hung windows? I need to replace the builder grade ones that came w/ the house. Andersen and Pella seem to make a good product. I need a good mid range window nothing high end.
How old are your current windows? Are they old wood units? Let me know so I can help you further.

Last edited by rwedding; 04-30-2009 at 06:27 AM.
rwedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #3

Where are you located?? I install vinyl windows by Viwinco(northeast US), or Simonton. Avoid Pella, avoid big box, avoid cheapy local windows, they are more of what you are trying to replace. Andersen Renewal(dealer installed only) are good but expensive.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by First timer1 View Post
Andersen and Pella aren't vinyl windows. Both are wood with a covering. Andersen is vinyl and Pella's aluminum.
You will probably need new construction windows as the originals are vinyl ,installed with fins on the exterior. So you realize the outside siding will need to be removed to install the new ones, as well as getting out the old ones.
I use Andersen, 400 series windows, when the use of new construction units are needed. They make a replacement window called Woodwright that homeowners can purchase but they are very high priced. More then double the cost of the 400 series.
I do use a vinyl replacement window from a local company that has stood the test of time and quality. I've never had an issue with the glass or balances in 20 years.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Home Performance

Anderson and Pella do make vinyl windows but neither are good. They are repackaged low-end windows. Personally I like Great Lakes/PlyGem or Alside/Revere. They both are great quality for a decent price and have Lifetime warranties.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #6

The windows that need replacing are vinyl. They are about 3yrs. old. I live in the northeast.
First timer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #7

I used Andersen windows on our house

Not sure who the MFg AnderSON is.....

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote