DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Vinyl Replacement Window Nail Fin

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tom Struble 
#1 ·
Hi! I am new to this forum. I just need some quick help.

A few weeks back we ordered some vinyl replacement windows for our home. The sales rep asked us if we wanted the nail fin on the window. He thought it would be a good idea to keep in on and he said it would be easy to remove it if we don't need it. We said sure, we would keep the nail fin on. Now, I am thinking we don't need it. In fact, I am sure we are going to have to remove it. We have old wood windows and are going to be installing from the inside up against the back stop.

So, my question... Is the nail fin going to be that easy to remove without screwing up our new windows? And, how should we go about getting rid of it? Please tell me we didn't screw up big time by keeping the nail fin on. :(

#2 ·
If it is a vinyl integral nail fin(one that is extruded onto the masterframe), a coulple scores with a sharp utility knife and peel it off. It may be mechanically applied, in which case will need removed and the screw holes sealed. If it is an aluminum integral nail fin - scoring with a knife and peeling it off. The aluminum is a little more difficult but can be done. A power saw can be used if one is careful.
There are other tools that are out there that will help, but I am trying to keep in what most people have.
To answer your question, you can remove it and it should not affect the functionality of your windows.
Hope this helps and good luck.

#4 ·
Alright, thanks, Fen. I was hoping to hear they could probably be scored and peeled off.

Scuba_Dave, we are getting the windows tomorrow. I doubt the rep will send me a picture before then. He has been pretty worthless... He did say (when he recommended we keep the fins on), that they could be scored and snapped off. I am just nervous to take his word for it. He seemed maybe a little upset that we were not paying them to install for us. So, hopefully, he isn't out to get us. :)

After doing a lot of research to figure out what we are going to be doing for the install, I am a little surprised that he recommended we keep them on. We have standard old wood windows (front stop, bottom sash, parting bead, top sash, and back stop). He took a good look at the windows and he should have know that the nailing fin wasn't going to work for us... I think he just wants us to call back and be like, "PLEASE! Come help us install these things!"

ANYWAY. After we get them tomorrow, if they cannot be scored and removed. I will take a picture and post it. I really appreciate you guys helping a newbie DIYer like me out! :) Wish us luck on this install!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.