Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl fascia and gutters

I'm wondering how those who have installed vinyl fascia, dealt with the issue of hanging gutters? I'm referring specifically to the fact that all things vinyl need to be allowed to expand and contract. If the gutters are hung with standard gutter "spikes" that will pin the vinyl in place. Also, won't any alternate method of hanging the gutter (different style bracket etc.) have to be loosely nailed/screwed off (not driven "home") to allow vinyl movement? How would loosely supported gutters handle the weight in a downpour? I'd like to install vinyl fascia (instead of aluminum) as I believe it won't degrade as much (paint chalking off the aluminum). I can't get past this detail however. I'd appreciate it any and all input. Thanks in advance.
lonewolf_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #2

Vinyl fascia and gutters

#1 I would never ever suggest anyone use the cheap preformed vinyl fashia.
#2 Done right aluminum fashia will not go anywhere once the gutter is installed. The gutters hold it flat to the wood under it.
On the rakes it needs to be slid in under the drip cap, oval holes are punched in the area where the metal is bent on the bottom with a special punch made just for trim nails.

A lot has changed in the finishes used on coil stock. The new flat finish last a lot longer,
Want it to last forever, just use PVC coated instead. It will say PVC in big letters right on the box.
Never install aluminum coil stock over any pressure treated wood.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Vinyl fascia and gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf_one View Post
I'm wondering how those who have installed vinyl fascia, dealt with the issue of hanging gutters? I'm referring specifically to the fact that all things vinyl need to be allowed to expand and contract. If the gutters are hung with standard gutter "spikes" that will pin the vinyl in place. Also, won't any alternate method of hanging the gutter (different style bracket etc.) have to be loosely nailed/screwed off (not driven "home") to allow vinyl movement? How would loosely supported gutters handle the weight in a downpour? I'd like to install vinyl fascia (instead of aluminum) as I believe it won't degrade as much (paint chalking off the aluminum). I can't get past this detail however. I'd appreciate it any and all input. Thanks in advance.

by vinyl fascia do you mean 3/4" cpvc lumber, like 1x6 1x8 etc..?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

Vinyl fascia and gutters

This response is on the assumption you are meaning AZEK, KLEER, or any of the other vinyl "boards"...

Quote:
I'm wondering how those who have installed vinyl fascia, dealt with the issue of hanging gutters?
You use hangers like these: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nRLocK8ReH...ap+hangers.png

Quote:
I'm referring specifically to the fact that all things vinyl need to be allowed to expand and contract. If the gutters are hung with standard gutter "spikes" that will pin the vinyl in place. Also, won't any alternate method of hanging the gutter (different style bracket etc.) have to be loosely nailed/screwed off (not driven "home") to allow vinyl movement? How would loosely supported gutters handle the weight in a downpour?
The noted "roof strap hangers" above do not interfere with the fascia system and are usually rated to withstand all the same loads as typical nail/shank hangers do...

Quote:
I'd like to install vinyl fascia (instead of aluminum) as I believe it won't degrade as much (paint chalking off the aluminum).
Most vinyl fascia boards are painted following installation. The fastener holes and cut ends tend to look bad if left exposed and un-painted. I would also tend to assume (i have no proof) that the plastic will degrade and yellow with UV exposure, which will warrant painting. Either way, I think you'll end up painting it.

Quote:
I'd appreciate it any and all input.
Both look great after intial installation and both will require painting long term to keep that "fresh" look. Difference is that an aluminum fascia is MUCH cheaper. So, my input? Go aluminum and take your significant other out for a night on the town with the savings...

Oh, one other tidbit on the priceyness of the plastic fascia. It is too flimsy to be all by itself as a fascia. It needs to have a wood backer to help make it rigid and maintain shape. So, you aren't saving anything at all going with vinyl, just adding $$...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 08-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote