Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Vinyl deck gate

Thought I would start another thread about this since the other thread is at page 22.

My stairway openings are 55 1/4" and 43" from inside 4x4 to inside 4x4. They don't really sell prefab gates those sizes so I'm planning to make my own. I was thinking about buying 2 traditional railing kits and making those into gates. I was talking to the people at homedepot about it and the biggest issue was figuring out how to attach a latch or something to the swinging end and preventing the bottom from sagging.

Here's what I plan to use.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/6-ft-x-36-i...985/202084782/

Last edited by nikeman; 03-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Vinyl deck gate

not only that...how do you put hinges on it?

good luck...looks like a head scratcher.

How about you make your gates out of an exterior grade wood and paint/stain white.

I made these gates several years ago. Western red cedar, but could be done with white cedar or maybe PT. Sorry for the lousy pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl deck gate-nancys-pictures-003.jpg  

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Vinyl deck gate

That looks good. Are those vinyl railings? I think I can make something like that. Are those just normal 1x pickets that they have at home depot? I'd be happy with just straight pieces on top but I like how you curved yours. Im not to skilled with a saw though. Do your gates open 180 degrees with those hinges? I need the smaller gate to open all the way so I can keep it open most of the time. The other gate is on a corner so it only has to open 90 degrees.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Not so new

Vinyl deck gate

Western red cedar, oil base primer and 2 coats of paint.

Yep, they open flat against the railing.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,954

Vinyl deck gate

Go over to the hardware dept. In Lowes in the are where the door knobs are sold.
As you go down the first isle there's rust proof hindges that are spring loaded and the latches for this on the right hand side with the reguler door knobs on the left.
Look for the ones that are really made for pool gates, there self closing and locking.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #6

Vinyl deck gate

12penny. Can you post a picture from the other side of the gate? I got some white gloss primer/paint spray paint at lowes but I didn't get the wood yet. I think spray paint will look more even with no brush strokes right?

Edit:
If the opening is 55 1/4" how wide should I make the gate to compensate for the hinges? One website says to take off 2".

Last edited by nikeman; 03-26-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Vinyl deck gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Go over to the hardware dept. In Lowes in the are where the door knobs are sold.
As you go down the first isle there's rust proof hindges that are spring loaded and the latches for this on the right hand side with the reguler door knobs on the left.
Look for the ones that are really made for pool gates, there self closing and locking.
I plan to keep them open most of the time for the dog but close them when my daughter is out there. I like the spring idea but would it hurt the spring mechanism if it stays open 90% of the time? Was thinking of using a drop rod to keep them open.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

Vinyl deck gate

Also how did you make the curved top? What size boards did you use for that? What did you use for the balusters? I might copy you. All Home Depot had in cedar were 3/4" thick boards.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Not so new

Vinyl deck gate

I wouldnt use spray paint, but havent tried it myself. I'd use shellac based Bin primer and a good latex, exterior grade top coat.

At 55 inches I'd build 2 gates. Each one is lighter and less likely to sag than one big one. At the hinge side you dont need much space. Id think 1/8" - 1/4" would be fine. Where the two meet, space a little wider at 1/2".

All materials are 2x clear cedar. Top rails where cut from 2x6 material. Layout the radius, cut with jig saw and sand smooth. I used pinned mortice and tenons to hold it all together. I suppose you could use butt joints with construction adhesive and deck screws. Just make sure its painted good.

Im passing through Virginia the end of April. I could drop them off on my way through.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl deck gate-nancys-pictures-001.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Vinyl deck gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny
I wouldnt use spray paint, but havent tried it myself. I'd use shellac based Bin primer and a good latex, exterior grade top coat.

At 55 inches I'd build 2 gates. Each one is lighter and less likely to sag than one big one. At the hinge side you dont need much space. Id think 1/8" - 1/4" would be fine. Where the two meet, space a little wider at 1/2".

All materials are 2x clear cedar. Top rails where cut from 2x6 material. Layout the radius, cut with jig saw and sand smooth. I used pinned mortice and tenons to hold it all together. I suppose you could use butt joints with construction adhesive and deck screws. Just make sure its painted good.

Im passing through Virginia the end of April. I could drop them off on my way through.
How much would you charge me? Where did you find 2x cedar? I checked lowes and Home Depot and only found 3/4" at Home Depot. They had a few different sizes but all 3/4".
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Not so new

Vinyl deck gate

You'll have to go to a lumberyard. My guy stocks it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #12

Vinyl deck gate

Quote:
You'll have to go to a lumberyard. My guy stocks it.
Even your pickets are cedar? Did you just cut 2x4s in half long ways for those?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Not so new

Vinyl deck gate

Yes. 2x2x8' and cut to length.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #14

Vinyl deck gate

Quote:
Yes. 2x2x8' and cut to length.
It's hard to tell on my phone but it looks like your pickets are attached in between the top and bottom. Could I just use deck screws and do it that way. They have prebuilt wood railings the appear to be dry and as shrunk up as they will get. Do you not think that would look good after being painted? Did you use cedar for your entire decks railings and that's why you chose cedar for the gate? I might make the smaller gate out of pine that I have left over to practice and see how it looks.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Not so new

Vinyl deck gate

It's all cedar. Decks is Ipe. Go ahead and try it. Cheaper for sure.