Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Vinyl Corner install problem

Hey Guys,i've got a question about installing my vynyl corners.Afte doing my "birdhouses"on my garage,it occured to me that when i install my corners that the boxes are located so that the corners may need to be "split" to fit all the way up to the gable.Ifneeded i can post a pic so maybe i can get some advice of a good way to install my corners without having them look a lil awkward. appreciate any input guys as i've tried browseing the web to find a idea of how to do them,but no luck. Thanks

holtff1074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

just one way to do it

make the bottom of the box big enough to cover the corner up to where the back middle of the flange is,then continue with j up to the soffit

but you can split the corner if you need to
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl Corner install problem-0702101005.jpg   Vinyl Corner install problem-0702101030a.jpg   Vinyl Corner install problem-0702101007.jpg  

Last edited by Tom Struble; 01-01-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks tomstruble,but as i've done completed my boxes and just finished mounting them,i think maybe i need to get some pics posted so as to see if any tricks of the trade can be applied without having to redo or modify my boxes. Took me a lil while to do them as i don't have a break and had to do them by hand.But appears my inexperience may have set me back a little till i find a solution! I'll get some pics as soon as i can and try to post them.It's raining at the moment,so maybe later today or tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #4

Hey guys,i was out getting a couple of pics of the corners of my garage so as to help explain how i wasn't sure to install the vynyl corners,and ya kno what...... i may have figured a solution. Check the pics and included details below.

First this is the corners as they are currently.

Next shows the need to modify a corner to make it look correct.I placed a old xtra corner up and all of a sudden i think i figured a solution.MAYBE

I figured when i install my J-Channel for my siding,then i should 90* at the box(highlighted in red)i so as to insert the corner if i cut it like shown in the next pic.

By cutting out the area in RED i believe i can fit the corner into the J-channel and if i cut a piece of the nailtrim section from an old scrap piece of siding,i can place it behind the corner within the 90* section of J-Channel to help secure the vyny; corner. Whatca Think....sound logical?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

cutting the corner around the box will work
it's really your only option
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
KemoSabe

Just an observation, but I like to see paper and flashing behind the soffit receiver.

Notching the corner won't look bad, done it many times.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loneframer For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-01-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Just an observation, but I like to see paper and flashing behind the soffit receiver.

Notching the corner won't look bad, done it many times.
Good point loneframer
and i need to address that issue before installation of the siding.Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #8

I always extend the end gable soffit down on the corner and put a covered triangle piece back where the side of the house stops. Plus should use typar or similiar paper all over before soffits go up. Your. way gives it a good look tho,but more material. I put the siding up to where to soffit starts because I can vary height a bit to make it come out if necessary
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #9

I've got a similar situation, though we didn't have vinyl for the end of the rake (we used a fypon fascia).

What I did was bring up the super corner to the bottom of the box.

Then, on the side you're having an issue with, I used a white J-channel (fascia is white) and brought it down to the super corner. I think it looks really nice. One slight difference, is I used a 3.5" white freeze board (fypon) under the F channel against the sheathing. I cut out the backing of it to make it into a J so that the siding can go behind it.

Now that I think about it, I actually had to use a J horizontally from the super corner to the corner of the box, where I then put the J up vertically to the freeze board. (the box was of a size where there was about 2.5-3" between the edge of the box and the super corner).

Unfortunately I do not have any close up pictures, but this can potentially give you an idea of what I did if you look at both corners:

AgentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #10

Nice to see the various options and this may help me learn a little bit as i've not done this much.The first effort i ever done was my house,which the siding for it and the garage both are very close to what AgentW has used. By looking close you can see my very first effort to building corners on my house which consisted of wood boxes and covered with multiple pcs of vynyl. They now each hold single or dual motion sensor lights.Gotta protect my 65 project!

OOOooo.....the photo below shows the house below before i managed to build the overhang gables and add siding.

The designs below are/weremy dream ideas.......but having been hit a lil hard in recent years,ya jus gotta do what the money allows ya to do...

Last edited by holtff1074; 01-02-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #11

clean that place up before someone gets hurt