Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Vinal sidding repair

My son broke a corner of our vinal sidding. I bought the house about 10 yrs ago and the previous owner put the sidding on. what can I do to fix so it matches the rest of the house?

couchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Vinal sidding repair

How old is the siding?

If it's not too old you may be able to can get a corner to match.Then it's a matter of replacement if you have some patience.It would be better if the Temp,around 70* or warmer.

If you can't find a replacement to match,than have some paint mixed to as close as you can or find someone in the field to do the repair.
Some I've seen covered in matching aluminum coil,but the results aren't always appealing.
I've also seen them repaired by cutting the nail fins off a newer piece and shoe-horning it over the damaged piece and then rivited on.

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Vinal sidding repair

As stated, it depends on the extent of the damage. Sometimes, areas can be repaired, sometimes, they need to be replaced.

I'm sorry to say, that it is time to replace your house....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #4

Vinal sidding repair

What's "sidding"? Is that what you do on the couch?
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Vinal sidding repair

The reality of it is, that you can purchase vinyl corner sections. The best place to try and match that up would be at a supply house that carries more than one brand of siding (in other words, not the Big Home Improvement Stores).
If the new replacement corner is "slightly" different looking than the older existing one, and you cannot seem to find a complete match anywhere, the old stand-by trick is to remove a matching corner from an inconspicuous area of the home, and install it in the conspicuous area. Then install the less-of-a-match area into the removed location.
All of the above would require a little more work, than a simple one hour DIY project, but the result won't be, that everytime you look at the unmatched conspicuous area, you cringe.

What ever you decide to do, or are able to do = Good Luck and work safely.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote