Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Share |

venting a wood burning stove.

Hi everyone I am new to this chat room so this question may be in the wrong category, but i'm not sure. I recently just purchased a house with a pole barn. I am planing on putting a wood burning stove out in the barn. i am just going to use the stove maybe 3-4 a week in the winter if that. I was wondering whats the rule or code for putting single wall stove pipe to vent the stove. How close can it be to bare wood. Is it better to run it out the wall or through the roof. If the pipe cant be close to the bare wood is there something that i can put around the pipe of wood to protect the wood. I really don't want to have to use that insulated pipe if i don't have to due to how expensive it is. Any advice hints or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

golfthis1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

I installed a wood stove in my pole barn and just went through the side to avoid any roof penetrations. I just stacked some 8" block around the wall and kept it a few inches away to retain some heat. Used it almost everyday for quite a few years. Just keep the pipe a few feet away from combustibles, and keep it clean. Be reminded that not many insurance company's will not cover you should a fire occur. This topic is covered in depth at the garage journal forum.

rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

Home Depot has this class A radiant insulation called reflectix stuff it looks like aluminum foil. Can you wrap that around any bare wood that would be close to the pipe to protect it.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfthis1123 View Post
Home Depot has this class A radiant insulation called reflectix stuff it looks like aluminum foil. Can you wrap that around any bare wood that would be close to the pipe to protect it.
What are you calling close? I mentioned a few feet, but you might be able to be closer such as 16" or even less, there should be plenty of info on that on the net. You could also use insulated pipe and be closer. I use single wall where I can because a lot of heat comes off the pipe. I'm not sure about the foil aspect. Please don't bank on my advice, do some homework, there's plenty out there.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #5

a call to your local building official can provide you with that answer. in my area you would need a permit to install the stove. should you have a fire caused by the stove and did not have a permit it may affect your insurance company's willingness to pay out on the claim.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

What you need for penetrating the wall with single-wall pipe is called a thimble.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
DIY staff

I highly recommend using double wall pipe for the penetration and outside chimney---also using a T instead of a 90 outside--capped--will act as a drip leg for creosote---keeping that flammable goo from reaching the hot stove pipe.

Chimney fires are common with wood stoves---be safe.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going to try to replace all the wood 2x4 with metal studs, just close to where the wood stove is going to go. So I don't have to worry about them getting to hot. That may be a little overkill I don't know. I just don't want to have to buy insulated pipe because it's expensive, just to hear my barn. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
DIY staff

Is it really that expensive?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

before you attempt to create more of a problem...due as suggested call about permit,check with you insurance carrier,,ask about being installed according to code.....any one can do it but not everyone can do it right..ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-13-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Is it really that expensive?
If it's stainless triple-wall, yes it is expensive. Around here, upwards of $30 per foot.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
before you attempt to create more of a problem...due as suggested call about permit,check with you insurance carrier,,ask about being installed according to code.....any one can do it but not everyone can do it right..ben sr
Listen to this advice. It's clear from your posts that you don't really know what you're doing. You're quite literally playing with fire.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #13

Menards carries a black stove pipe that is double wall and not terribly expensive like the stainless. That in conjunction with a thimble will get you safely through the wall.

ben's plumbing (11-14-2013), oh'mike (11-15-2013)

Tags
heating barn, venting stove, wood stove