Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
mem

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Venting an Overhang?

I am planning on enclosing my overhangs with vinyl soffit material. The house is 4x12 post and beam construction, on 8 foot centers, with cathedral ceilings throughout, 1/12 and 2/12 pitch. The original roof deck is 2x6 T&G, framed above that and filled with foam board. The roof is not ventilated.
The overhangs range from two to eight feet in width between the eight foot center beams. I am framing to box in the overhangs to about 9 inches deep and house some recessed lights. The new soffits will be parallel to the roof pitch. My question is wether it is recommended to use a vented soffit material or is it acceptable to box in these areas and create a dead air space with unvented vinyl.
I like the look of the InvisiVent soffit from Certainteed but prefer to use a 5 inch profile to mimic the underside of the original 2x6 T&G roof deck. Certainteed's product seems to be only available in a triple 3 1/3, and I can't seem to find a hidden vent vinyl soffit in a 5 inch profile anywhere, does anyone make such a beast? The 5 inch products I find are either solid or the unsightly fully perforated type.

mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

Venting an Overhang?

The rakes are not a conditioned space, so solid vinyl is fine. My log house is done that way. The eaves could be done the same way if you're absolutely sure the roof isn't vented. But if it isn't, why not?

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
mem

Venting an Overhang?

Thanks md2lgyk. I am just concerned about trapping as much as 100 or so cubic feet of air in an enclosed space with no escape route for moisture should it accumulate. I'm probably just over-thinkng the whole situation.
The overhangs are the eaves, and rakes too for that matter, just a continuation of the roof plane all around the house--about a thousand square feet in total. The roof is not vented-packed full of XPS and foam sealed.
Do you know what soffit product is on your log home? Is it on 24" centers? Any sagging issues?
Anyone else like to comment?
mem is offline   Reply With Quote