Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Share |

Venting A Dryer

Hi I am new to the forums and pretty bad with technical terms, but understand a bit about house improvment. I am wanting to move my dryer and need to put a vent in. I have a 1-1/2 storey house with a concrete basement (the dryer is in the basement). I am wanting to drill the hole in the board that sits on the foundation of the basment for the vent. I am sure this is fine but the only thing it is above a window. The is concrete between the floor board but this peice is loss and easy to remove. I find it hard to explain so I am atatching a photo of what I am talking about. The floor boards are 2x8 on 16" centers so I am assuming the end plate is a 2x8 also. I am just wondering if it is safe to put a 4" hole in it when it is above the window. I would do it not above the window but b/c the concrete is so easy to get out i would like to do it there. save on the orizontal jackhammering. Its late so if I forgot something or can't understand this let me know. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Venting A Dryer-sdc11422.jpg  

Adam9182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #2

Venting A Dryer

First off, anywhere near a window is a bad place for an exhaust vent (very likely against code, may weaken your header too much, can't open the window when running the dryer, condensate on window when cold, etc). In your picture, what is that steel pipe venting? Fresh air in? It sounds like you are talking about drilling through a rim joist, which runs perpendicular to your floor joists. I don't see them in the pic. I would advise running the pipe somewhere else, code-distance from a window. Is there any way to go upstairs along the wall, then outside? You may get a ton of cold air running down that pipe that way, so be ready to install some kind of good anti-back-flow device.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (10-23-2010)
Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

Venting A Dryer

The other metal vent is the hot air duct for the room above. Yeah didn't think to much of all the condensation and what it will do to the window. thanks
Adam9182 is offline   Reply With Quote