Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

is this a ventilation issue?

Hi. I am wondering if I have a problem or if this is normal. I purchased a home last summer. It is approximately 7 years old. I live in the Coastal Bend area of Texas, so it's hot, beach type weather.

I run the exhaust fans in the bathroom every time I shower and for 20-30 minutes after, and I shower very quickly, 5-10 mins max. My main bathroom has a small window which I open in the summer after showering, but the other two bathrooms have only exhaust fans.

I purchased some anti-moisture things called Damp-rid, it's like a crystal that turns into liquid by drawing moisture from the air. I have one in each bathroom and in the laundry room. It claims to last up to 60 days, but mine is ready to be changed in 4-5 weeks. Does this mean I have a moisture problem? I don't see any mold, no funny smells either. There was some condensation on the windows during the cold winter periods, but nothing now that the A/C is running.

is this a problem or am I being paranoid? I rarely used the exhaust fan in my old home and lived there for 10 years w/out problem, but now these damp-rid containers have me worried. Does anyone know if this is an issue? Thank you.

mande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

is this a ventilation issue?

The first thing you need to do is buy a few hygrometers and place them on various floors, in various rooms to measure the humidity level. There's a company called Klockit that sells them for about $7.00 a pop.
If there are no overt signs of high humidity, you probably don't have it.
It wouldn't be the first time a companies claims were, "enhanced" if the product didn't last as long as advertised.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote