Ventilating - House With No Real Soffits - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

ventilating - house with no real soffits

I've recently bought a house with no overhang for soffits. Cheap post-war construction. Great n-hood, nice interior, (and I've already bought it) so I want to make the best of it. The attic has almost no insulation, which I want to address. Maybe the prior owners never insulated well because they were stumped on this issue.

1.) See first pic, no awning or soffit vents.
2.) Nevertheless, I saw some light in the attic (pic 2 and 3) at the edges, so I figured I'd see where that was coming from and see if this provides ventilation.
3.) Stuck a hanger thru to see where it protrudes (pic 4)
4.) As you can see there is about 3/8 inch of space running around the roof, while shingles overhang that some.

Is this providing any ventilation value? Should I put "baffles" in to prevent insulation from clogging these areas, or should I fill up this space with great stuff and find alternative ventilation? Because this crack is so close to the top of the walls, I fear that a baffle (that keeps insulation away from the edge) will leave 3 to 4 very important inches of the attic uninsulated..

Thoughts appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
ventilating - house with no real soffits-house-no-awnings.jpg   ventilating - house with no real soffits-light-attic-1.jpg   ventilating - house with no real soffits-light-attic-2.jpg   ventilating - house with no real soffits-hanger-protrusion.jpg   ventilating - house with no real soffits-maybe-ventilation-space.jpg  

Advertisement

kelley4180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley4180 View Post
I've recently bought a house with no overhang for soffits. Cheap post-war construction. Great n-hood, nice interior, (and I've already bought it) so I want to make the best of it. The attic has almost no insulation, which I want to address. Maybe the prior owners never insulated well because they were stumped on this issue.

1.) See first pic, no awning or soffit vents.
2.) Nevertheless, I saw some light in the attic (pic 2 and 3) at the edges, so I figured I'd see where that was coming from and see if this provides ventilation.
3.) Stuck a hanger thru to see where it protrudes (pic 4)
4.) As you can see there is about 3/8 inch of space running around the roof, while shingles overhang that some.

Is this providing any ventilation value? Should I put "baffles" in to prevent insulation from clogging these areas, or should I fill up this space with great stuff and find alternative ventilation? Because this crack is so close to the top of the walls, I fear that a baffle (that keeps insulation away from the edge) will leave 3 to 4 very important inches of the attic uninsulated..

Thoughts appreciated.

This may be a salution if your not in an area that will have ice build up in your gutters during the winter months:
http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...ventedDE.shtml

You should be able to use the Propa-vent baffles and insulate the floor area to your needs.

Advertisement

Last edited by oldfrt; 10-11-2009 at 02:32 PM.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,064

"Is this providing any ventilation value? Should I put "baffles" in to prevent insulation from clogging these areas, or should I fill up this space with great stuff and find alternative ventilation? Because this crack is so close to the top of the walls, I fear that a baffle (that keeps insulation away from the edge) will leave 3 to 4 very important inches of the attic uninsulated.." ----------- Yes that is venting, at least intake supply, but the moist air and gutter splash water is also getting in to wet your sheathing and rafters there from the wind. I would install drip metal flashing made for your application to cover the gap and seal the water out, it slips under the shingles above. Then install this across the roof to ventilate every rafter bay, and install rafter baffles to keep the air current from your floor insulation: http://www.cor-a-vent.com/in-vent.cfm As per directions, with a -2" gap between them to let condensation out. Clear to the continuous ridge vent (exhaust) with baffles: http://www.oikos.com/esb/30/atticvent.html http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...248&lpage=none Then insulate floor per locale and use foam board to get the r-value needed in the tight space at wall/ceiling joint of perimeter. Figure 1/100 or 1/300 with a vapor barrier: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks guys. I'm going to use a combination of your advice. Let me know what you think of this:

1.) The product you pointed out oldfrt looks like what I need. The AirVent drip edge. I live in Atlanta, so this should be fine, right? How do gutters attach on that? Does the gutter attach under that, so the vent ends up being right above the gutter channel?

2.) GBR, the Cor-a-vent In-vent looks like the long term solution. I think even if I went all the way around the house with the vented drip edge, its still probably not up to code given how narrow that channel is. I'm due for a new roof in about 18 months, and that would probably be the perfect time to install the Cor-a-vents In-vent.

3.) In the meantime, I like the idea of using foam board at the tight wall/ceiling space. And that would likely be less bothered (than batts) if a little wind blow water came thru the drip vents, right? Is foam board on the attic floor OK in typical building code?

Thanks guys!
kelley4180 is offline   Reply With Quote