Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Share |

Vented Wooden Cover for Port Generator

I have installed a 7,000 watt portable generator on a 4X4' concrete slap. My operating Manuel says "Do not operate in rain" so I need to build a cover. My thoughts are just a pitched roof on a wood frame with ends and sides open. Need this venting process and access to gas tank and control panel. I can see in my minds eye what I want, somewhat like a dog house without the ends etc. My skills are limited and am looking for a plan. Thanks, Jim
jamesatbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesatbloom View Post
I have installed a 7,000 watt portable generator on a 4X4' concrete slap. My operating Manuel says "Do not operate in rain" so I need to build a cover. My thoughts are just a pitched roof on a wood frame with ends and sides open. Need this venting process and access to gas tank and control panel. I can see in my minds eye what I want, somewhat like a dog house without the ends etc. My skills are limited and am looking for a plan. Thanks, Jim

Well i don't have a plan for you,but make sure you protect the side with the generator from water,and be sure it's grounded,and don't touch it with wet hands while it's running,that's my .02 cents.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Do you have a few pictures of the pad, generator and site so we can see what you need? Generator enclosures around here are usually sealed, locked, and soundproofed.
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

Ever built a deck? Framings going to be the same for the bottom part, except no floor joist.

4, post, 4 rim joist, then just add a roof.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote