Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

Share |

Velux Sun Tunnel Installation Question

Hello,

This question is for anyone who has installed a Velux Sun Tunnel. My question is about the hole that is cut into the roof. The instructions show an oblong hole - curved at the top and bottom, with straight sides. If my rafters are 24" on center, and I am installing a 10-inch Sun Tunnel, is there any reason I can't cut a full circle?

Also, the instructions indicate that a 10-inch tunnel gets a 14.5 inch width roof opening. The same instructions say that a 14-inch tunnel also gets a 14.5 inch width roof opening. This doesn't make sense. What is the proper opening size for the 10-inch tunnel?

I called Velux, spoke to two different technicians, and got two different answers. Hoping to find someone experienced here.

Here is a link to the install PDF. The roof opening part is on page 7.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...8e9acdf58d.pdf

Thank you!

lavamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
JOATMON

The hole in the roof is going to be oblong because of the slope of the roof. Stand the tube up on the ground.....then take a ruler and hold it against the side of the tub parallel to the ground....distance from side to side of the tube is the diameter of the tube....right?

Now...tilt that ruler so that it's about the slope of the roof....now measure the distance from side to side....

Or....take a hot dog....and cut it at an angle....that oblong shape represents the area the dissects the roof.

As for the measurements...I think it's just a typo.....it happens.

BTW lavamom....welcome and hopefully you will stick around....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

I looked at the instructions. it looks like 14.5" is just for the roof boot that sits on the roof and the tube reduces from that. if you mark the boot on the roof like the instructs say you should be good to go. just remember to cut on the outside edge of the line because you will be marking to the inside edge of the boot so the boot will squeeze through the hole. also the instructs show shingles still on the roof at that stage but the shingles should be taken out of the way before scribing boot to roof...
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies, and for the welcome. We are getting re-roofed, so I am having the roofer cut the roof holes, while I do the interior install. But he hasn't installed one of these before, and is not likely to read the instructions, so I want to make sure I can explain it to him. (The shingles are not on yet, so that won't be an issue.)

I have a circle template that I used for the ceiling cuts, and I want to give him that to use. But the cut described in the instructions is like a circle with two slices off of each left and right side. I don't see the sense in that, other than avoiding rafters if they are there (and in my case they are not).

Marking with the roof boot is awkward, partly because it is big and bulky, and partly because the inside is curved and so there is no clean edge to press the pencil or chalk against. The picture doesn't really show it well - it doesn't lie flush and flat against the roof. I tried putting the roof boot on a piece of cardboard to draw a circle, and wound up with a 16-inch circle. That's why I would rather give the roofer a cardboard template.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamom View Post
Thank you for the replies, and for the welcome. We are getting re-roofed, so I am having the roofer cut the roof holes, while I do the interior install. But he hasn't installed one of these before, and is not likely to read the instructions, so I want to make sure I can explain it to him. (The shingles are not on yet, so that won't be an issue.)

I have a circle template that I used for the ceiling cuts, and I want to give him that to use. But the cut described in the instructions is like a circle with two slices off of each left and right side. I don't see the sense in that, other than avoiding rafters if they are there (and in my case they are not).

Marking with the roof boot is awkward, partly because it is big and bulky, and partly because the inside is curved and so there is no clean edge to press the pencil or chalk against. The picture doesn't really show it well - it doesn't lie flush and flat against the roof. I tried putting the roof boot on a piece of cardboard to draw a circle, and wound up with a 16-inch circle. That's why I would rather give the roofer a cardboard template.
if you turn the boot upside down it should have the edge to mark against otherwise you have to sight through and hold pencil correctly to get the mark when marking with the boot.
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Thank you for replying. I ended up making a cardboard template, using the boot as a guide. It was about a 20-inch slightly oblong circle, and I sliced off each side to achieve a 14.5 inch width. A circle really would not have worked, especially with the 14-inch tunnel, because even with 24 on center rafters, I'm not comfortable with so little clearance. I did the same with the 10-inch tunnel, winding up with a slightly oblong 16-inch circle, which I also chose to slice off the sides. I could have used the whole shape, as it fit safely between the rafters, but decided to be consistent.

My original thought, to simply cut 10.5 and 14.5 inch circles would have been completely wrong, as the opening of the boot at the point of contact with the roof is much larger in both cases (16 and 20 inches).

Again - thank you so much to everyone for the input and advice.