Velux Skylights - Curb Vs. Deck Mounted - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Velux Skylights - Curb Vs. Deck Mounted

I'm planning to install 2 new fixed skylights in our dining room, and I've settled on the Velux brand. However, there are two different mounting methods available: curb and deck. Curb mounted requires you to build a 2x4 frame and attach it to the roof deck around the skylight opening, and then seal the frame to the roof with ice block before the skylight is mounted on the frame. Deck mounted comes already with a built-in frame which installs the whole skylight directly to the roof deck. Both require a separate flashing kit. The question is which mounting method do you prefer? The roof is asphalt shingles, 4/12 pitch, moderate SW Michigan winters. There are currently no skylights in the location, but I am not planning on re-roofing the roof, so I will have to work around the existing roof. Fortunately, I still have a whole bundle of the original shingles.

Thanks.

Advertisement

SimpleFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

Curbs are typically used for low pitch/flat roofs. Your pitch is fine for deck mounted.

Advertisement

rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

i am putting in a curb mounted skylight but cant figure out how to attach the rain sensor.
there is no hole on the curb flashing to put the sensor wire through to the inside. i have gone around all the flashing and cant find an access point for the sensor wire.
anyone any ideas on this,
what am i missing.
ferguselora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguselora View Post
i am putting in a curb mounted skylight but cant figure out how to attach the rain sensor.
there is no hole on the curb flashing to put the sensor wire through to the inside. i have gone around all the flashing and cant find an access point for the sensor wire.
anyone any ideas on this,
what am i missing.
The rain sensor sits on the top of a lower corner. The wire just drops inside the frame and goes to the connection in the motor area.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote