Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,034
Question

Velux skylight opening

first of all, i would like to say that i did call the Velux customer service to inquire about this, however, i was not happy with the level of confidence in the lady's voice and the associate at Home Depot was pretty much clueless. so i thought someone here may have more experience. the veluxusa.com is also working intermittently and i was not able to download the installation PDF (http://www.veluxusa.com/consumer/pro...s=vcm&resNum=5). i got a blank PDF document.

i would like to order a 21.5" square manually opened skylight for a low pitched roof. my question is whether the framed or finished (with drywall) opening needs to be 21.5". i also understand that it needs to go on a 2x4 curb frame and the lady said the curb inside needs to be 21.5". but she didn't sound very confident.

one way to do it is to wait until the skylight arrives and then finish the opening framing. but time is money and it would be better if i knew for certain what the rough opening needs to be so i can have it ready framed by the time the skylight arrives.

any help appreciated.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,102

Velux skylight opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
one way to do it is to wait until the skylight arrives and then finish the opening framing.
no... that is the ONLY way to do it.

Do not cut your roof or do any other work until the skylight is on hand, the package has been opened and checked for damage and that all the misc install brackets and other goodies are there. THEN (and only then) you read the directions (twice) and measure the pieces (twice) and finally you get to the last step of cutting the $5 worth of 2x4 lumber as required.

hth

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,498

Velux skylight opening

I'm getting ready to order my Velux now....

I have used them before and have found that they are pretty exact on the dimensions....

I'm doing the roof now on my 2-story addition and I already have my opening rough'd in......if it's off....I'll let Velux know....but I'm pretty sure it will be right....

But when in doubt....wait until you have it in hand....that is what I did with the first one....makes for a bit more confidence when you start to cut.

BTW....you might want to consider a deck mounted one vs curb mounted....easier to finish out because it includes the trim inside....

BTW....it's easy to remove the top cover of the skylight....you pull a pin that holds the chain to the lid...tilt it up until it stops....and you can disconnect the hinges....then all you have is the base....makes it a lot easier to put into place.

Also....if you go with the deck mounted...get the flashing kit.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 05-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Velux skylight opening

How low is "low pitched". They have units for 0-60 deg, and for 15 deg -up, in roof pitch. The 0 deg units is the VCE, VCM, or FCM curb mounted lite. The VCM would be the manual curb mounted lite. The inside curb dimension for the 2222(22 1/2x22 1/2) is 22 1/2x 22 1/2". I am looking at a 2008 catalog, but that is the only unit in the size range you mention.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,040

Velux skylight opening

I've installed many "Velux" skylights ( didn't count - maybe, hundreds?!?)
Wait until you have the skylight -
then, deal with the framing!
Good advice, above!
"RF"
(As stated - use their flashing kits!!)
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #6

Velux skylight opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
The inside curb dimension for the 2222(22 1/2x22 1/2) is 22 1/2x 22 1/2".
is that before drywall?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,468

Velux skylight opening

Yes, that one is made to go in-between the rafters. 2' OC is 22 1/2" between them. That is the rough opening for the frame before Sheetrock.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Velux skylight opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
BTW....you might want to consider a deck mounted one vs curb mounted....easier to finish out because it includes the trim inside....
well, my roof pitch is about 15 deg maximum. i was told that a pitch that low must have curb mounted because of water. is deck mounted the same as curb mounted, just with a frame (curb) already built in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Also....if you go with the deck mounted...get the flashing kit.
i was also told that i needed flashing for curb mounted as well. are you saying get Velux brand-name flashing as opposed to braking my own from stock coil (which i was gonna do to save $$)
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,498

Velux skylight opening

15 deg? that is a little over a 3:12 pitch....you could use deck mounted...but a curb mounted would be safer...

I would go with the Velux flashing kit....I don't think it's that much....it comes with the pre-bent corners which are hard to make out of rolled stock....and the flashing matches the color of the frame.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (05-16-2012)

Tags
skylight