Vaulted Pine T&G Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vaulted Pine T&G Ceiling

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

Please see attached photos:

Getting ready to install 8" Pine T&G boards to a vaulted ceiling. I've had the wood acclimating in the room for a couple weeks and I have a Porter Cable Finish Nailer to ease the installation. Boards are 12' and will be cut to a length of a little over 10'.

My main question involves the spacing of the nailing points. I'm going "with the rafters" on this one so I'm going to need to put down some 1x3's perpendicular to the rafters to provide mounting points for the boards. This will also help level things out. The ceiling has a slope to it and I've got the top and bottom mounting strips installed and level.

How many other mounting (furring) strips should I use. Each board will be roughly 10 ft in length (no staggering). Will five strips total be enough? That would give me roughly 24" spacing between the nailing points.

Thanks!

-Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Vaulted Pine T&G Ceiling-img_2161-1-.jpg   Vaulted Pine T&G Ceiling-img_2162-1-.jpg  

Advertisement

Jambo Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Vaulted Pine T&G Ceiling

If the boards are 3/4" thick, that should be fine. If they're 3/8" thick, I would set it so the boards were 16" on center.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote