Vaulted Celing Cracking And Bowing. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vaulted celing cracking and bowing.

This is a question for my son's house. Don't know if he has joined the chatroom yet. We are in the midwest with the unbelievable HOT weather, breaking all kinds of records. So, I don't know if this problem could be caused by excessive heat. The entrance roof line runs north and south with the vaulted inside ceiling joining the east and west vaulted ceiling almost at the center of the house. This past week, the drywall in the entrance vaulted area formed a large crack down from a starting point of where the ceiling cracked downward and the ceiling drywall also buckled.
It looks like a truss is pushing the drywall in a way that would make the ceiling drywall bow downward. Is this possibly done by extreme heat?
The attic of the house is not a temperature that a human would want to go into right now. Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening, if this makes sense.

Advertisement

Last edited by catrn67; 07-28-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: misspelling
catrn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

a few photos would certainly aid in providing intelligent thoughts ....

with that said, it is my understanding if he has a truss roof then it is possible if the pressure within the attic space increases that the bottom chord could be forced downward exerting pressure and could lead to cracking of the drywall surface. the similar can occur when their is a negative pressure that could cause the bottom chord to raise against causing cracking. I cannot say this is the cause or not ...

with your comment of drywall buckling, again a few photos would be helpful ....

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
catrn67 (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you Gary for the input. My son said he will try and get pictures of his ceiling and also might get back to you directly. Thanks again, Cathy
catrn67 is offline   Reply With Quote