Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Next Time...New Build

Share |

Vaulted Ceiling Framing

I have a vaulted ceiling (knee wall to ridge) in an attic that was once finished.

The existing framing is 2*6 at 24" on center. The roof was recently replaced and I added soffit vents and a ridge vent. I want to baffle and insulate each bay and drywall.

My question is, the rafters will have to be furred down to account for the baffles and insulation. Is there any reason why I couldn't run 2*4 perpendicular to the existing rafters in order to better hang the drywall?

The reason being is that I cannot get 10 footers up there and hanging vertical would eliminate any butt joints. (I have hung a lot of board but never used butt boards and do not want this to be a trial run).

Thanks all.

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

Vaulted Ceiling Framing

I'm confused. If you fasten 2x4s directly to the joists, perpendicular to them, then you've given yourself no additional clearance for the baffles and insulation, right?

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #3

Vaulted Ceiling Framing

You could fasten them on edge to get 3-1/2" more but you need R-38; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...ate=New%20York

Planning on foam board anywhere?

Gary
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Next Time...New Build

Vaulted Ceiling Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
I'm confused. If you fasten 2x4s directly to the joists, perpendicular to them, then you've given yourself no additional clearance for the baffles and insulation, right?
Sorry, the idea was to first fur down accordingly and then fasten the 2*4 perpendicular.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Next Time...New Build

Vaulted Ceiling Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
You could fasten them on edge to get 3-1/2" more but you need R-38; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...ate=New%20York

Planning on foam board anywhere?

Gary
Was considering foam board on the back of the knee wall but not on the ceiling. I am concerned with overall clearence. I am beginning to think that sistering with 2*12s may be the best approach. Then I could redo it at 16" OC.

Thanks for the link.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #6

Vaulted Ceiling Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Sorry, the idea was to first fur down accordingly and then fasten the 2*4 perpendicular.
Ah. OK.

2x4s are excessive as drywall furring. It's a waste of lumber and a waste of clearance, IMO. I'd use 1x3.

That said...furring on top of furring is a little messy for my tastes. If I understand you right, your only motivation for the second layer is a desire to install the drywall in a particular orientation. I'm not exactly following you on that, but I know that wouldn't motivate me. I'd install the drywall to the framing, not alter the framing to accommodate a preference.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote