Vapour Barrier Question ... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Vapour Barrier Question ...

First let me say I love this place - I've been through 2 renos with plenty of help from everyone here. so thanks!

we're doing a number of renovations in a 1960's home we moved into about a year ago - including installing pot lights on the second floor. I've taken down the ceiling drywall to reveal paper back insulation. Then I started thinking ...

after I wire-up pot lights, ceiling speakers, etc ... how do I get poly-vapor barrier back up in areas where there's an interior wall? (see pic below).

I can't run the insulation across the entire ceiling because of this wall - any thoughts? i'm hoping I dont' have to take down the interior wall just to run vapor barrier.

any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Vapour Barrier Question ...-p1060012-w768.jpg  

Advertisement

njchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

any thoughts on this? can I just run a bead of 'acoustical sealant' on that header / top plate, then start a new piece of vapour barrier on the other side?

Advertisement

njchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Your above suggestion on sealant sounds reasonable. As you're finding out, on a renovation one can't always get it as you like iy w/o tearing it down to the ground. Too, there are man many homes that have no vapor barrier on the ceiling plane...only on the wall insulation

ror
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote