Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Vapor Barrier Paint - porch ceiling

Can anyone recommend a Vapor Barrier Paint? Does such a thing exist and do they work for ceilings?

As part of a porch-winterizing project I want to insulate above the ceiling with blown insulation (cellulose or fiberglass). It's pretty much impossible to climb up above the ceiling to install a vapor barrier and I'd rather not tear out the ceiling to install a vapor barrier so am looking into painting the ceiling on the room (warm) side with something that acts as a vapor barrier.

House is in the Mid Atlantic (MD/VA/PA area) so it gets cold in winter.

pankaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ben Moore makes a good vapor retarding paint, according to an expert on another forum. You probably don't want a vapor barrier anyway. They are being shied away from in all but extreme temps/humidity level areas. Do the best you can to AIR seal everywhere and anywhere. Cellulose, yes. FG, no; that is the worst place to use a pretty useless insulation.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks jklingel, what's the problem with Fiberglass over a porch ceiling?

I had previously posted a question on this forum about blown in insulation and the consensus was that cellulose is better (with a vapor barrier). But I've had contractors come in suggesting Fiberglass is better. Personally I don't care as long as the insulation works and I don't get mold growing up there.
pankaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

FG BATTS are the problem. The loose fill Spider stuff is apparently pretty good stuff, though when I've read about FG on the Oak Ridge National Lab site (and many other places), I keep reading about the R value of FG reducing as it gets colder. ORNL reported R19 as low as R12, but I don't recall the exact circumstances. Read on buildingscience.com. Cellulose deters vermin, fire, and bugs, when treated w/ borates (which I think is becoming standard). Either one will probably work, but cellulose is benign and more "green". Yes, some builders still us poly vapor barriers, because they always have; old dogs, new tricks. Read about them on the BS site, too, and I think you'll not have one. AIR SEAL. I won't even be using one up here, and there are not many places colder. A very knowledgeable and successful builder up here has been avoiding VB's for many years. Our code, as in most places, calls for a "one perm or less", which VB paint and the airtight drywall approach, and other methods, provide, yet allow the wall to dry to the inside if need be. Poly VB's are outdated knowledge, though in very cold places they are probably OK. My present house, which we built in '80, has a poly VB and is doing fine. But, they can be problematic, esp if you ever run air conditioning or have summer solar vapor drive.

Last edited by jklingel; 03-17-2011 at 02:32 PM.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote