DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

vapor barrier in garage ceiling?

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
hi,
I am finishing the drywall in my deattached garage and I am starting the ceiling, and insulating it. I am using unfaced batts (got a great deal in bulk) of insulation that is laid in the rafters. Does the attic insulation need a vapor barrier?

If yes, plastic or paper and on which side? if paper, can I use regular brown paper off a roll that you can pick up at Lowes and cut to size? also I will be putting up 8 finished light housings (each one has 4 flurescent bulbs, looks like a classroom light) into the drywall, do the lights need a certain code to be safe to touch insulation or have insulation cover them?

thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I Does the attic insulation need a vapor barrier?
Yes.

If yes, plastic or paper and on which side?
Use a 4 mil Poly film, stapled to the joists - facing the the garage area.

if paper, can I use regular brown paper off a roll that you can pick up at Lowes and cut to size?
No, you cannot use "regular brown paper" off a roll (Rosen paper).
It is not in anyway, shape, or form - a vapor barrier material.

....also I will be putting up 8 finished light housings (each one has 4 flurescent bulbs, looks like a classroom light) into the drywall, do the lights need a certain code to be safe to touch insulation or have insulation cover them?
The lights must be IC rated (Insulated Ceiling).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.