Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

vapor barrier

I am put a floating slab foundation down for a 28X40 barn in northern Vermont. I hear different things about a vapour barrier. Is a 6 mil plastic enough, I have also heard that putting down the rigid foam panels. I have also come across a product called insultarp. What are the recommendations. Budget is an issue.

dorcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

vapor barrier

Absolutely put a vb below a slab. 6 mil visqueen is common, but I just bought some TuTuff, as recommended by a guy on another forum. It is MUCH tougher than visqueen, and it is virgin plastic so it won't deteriorate as quickly. The cost was not a great deal more than visqueen, and since it is a one time expense that has GOT to work, forget the extra pennies. If you are going to heat the building, then 2" of XPS (NOT EPS) is a minimum, in my book. BE SURE to insulate the outer edge of the slab, too; that is the most critical area to insulate. 2" of XPS, 2' down. If radiant floor heat, then more XPS. GL. j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

vapor barrier

Sand: http://www.concretees.com/people/bruce/pubs/c980427.pdf
ftp://imgs.ebuild.com/woc/C99C023.pdf

Air seal it: http://www.100khouse.com/2009/06/24/...b-air-sealing/

Foam board: http://www.energycodes.gov/support/slab_faq.stm

Heat loss/cost: http://www.radiantpanelassociation.o...cfm?pageid=420

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #4

vapor barrier

Thanks all for the feed back. GL Where can I find TuTuff to purchase? Would your local Home Depot carry it or do I have mail order it from a specialty store. I have looked it up on google and there distributorship is vague. Gary thanks for the links to the various web sites. Dave
Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #5

vapor barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorcutt View Post
Thanks all for the feed back. GL •• You are welcome, and be sure to pass help around when others need it. Like me! Sorry for the confusion: "GL" is my-speak for "good luck". Name is john.

Where can I find TuTuff to purchase? •• This is interesting. The packing slip has no company name on it; 218 South Road, Box 310, Genoa City, WI 53128. I called the manufacturer and ordered right from them; not sure they have any other method of purchasing. It is spelled Tu-Tuf. I'll try to find a phone number, but hopefully Google will get the co. Let me know if not. I believe it was Robert Riversong on greenbuildingadvisor.com that told me about the stuff. I have not used it yet, but opened the pack and poked it. It sure is tough. They sell special tape just for it, too.

Dave
PS: If you are pouring yourself (or maybe even if not) talk to some folks about covering the concrete w/ visqueen to slow curing; that apparently helps minimize cracking. That, or a special mix of concrete. And now, for my-speak: GL. j

Last edited by jklingel; 08-07-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

vapor barrier

dor: email me an address to jolinak@gci.net and I will send you a small chunk of the Tu-Tuf. Then you can judge for yourself whether or not you want it before you spend a bunch of money on it. BTW: This stuff was far cheaper than the other option ("commercial standard") up here, which is apparently 15 mil black visqueen. I like the black way better than the clear, but I bet this Tu-Tuf is tougher than 15 mil.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #7

vapor barrier

Thanks John. I did find the place in WI to purchase on google but haven't found any one local to sell it. I'll send you my Email address direct. Appreciate the tips. Dave