Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to larry proctor
Share |
Unhappy

vapor barier for older house

older house built in about 1910-30 has plaster thats going south and i hate the thoughts of what may lie ahead already pulled out what seems like miles of knob and tube hate to have to do the gut job to make the proper job of it any comments ?
larry proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry proctor View Post
older house built in about 1910-30 has plaster thats going south and i hate the thoughts of what may lie ahead already pulled out what seems like miles of knob and tube hate to have to do the gut job to make the proper job of it any comments ?
Been working in energy conservation since 1977 (insulation company, training, even wrote first set of energy regulations for our province).

Get the wiring/cabling done. Then blow cellulose through 1 inch holes in the plaster (2-3 holes per 8 ft vertical wall cavity). After this, install 3/8 inch inch drywall over the plaster and finish. A lot less mess and work!
beExperienced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to larry proctor

thx for the suggestion just some more info its story and a half and i am concerned as to if a vapor barrier needs be installed some of the walls are sagging away from the lath i believe thats the plaster "keys" letting go and some small areas in the ceiling are needing repair the old stuff was textured over the old plaster and now separating, i think i need to use a hard coat but its got me wondering now that i see no vapor barrier as to if i should think and budget for drywall and a hard time with the dust on everything as its gotta be an ongoing livable space .
larry proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #4

Don't know if this will help you however there is a company that makes a special thin flat washer about an inch in diameter that is designed to tie the old plaster back to the lath with screws then skim coat over them. We used a few thousand of them on a restoration job a few years ago. I'll find the address if you want.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #5

I've had luck using this probably really inappropriate solution:

Drill holes about the size of the tip of a caulk tube every 4" or so throughout the loose area, doing your best to drill where there is lath but not drilling into or through the lath. Squirt as much silicone caulk into each hole as you can, wipe off the excess before it dries. You want some to squirt behind the plaster and onto the lath. Then, screw in lots of drywall screws just to the point of setting the heads below the level of the plaster surface--don't break the surface any more than you have to and don't leave the screws proud. Wipe off any caulk that squirts out because you won't be able to sand it smooth later! Give it a couple of days for the caulk to set up. Then, skim coat with drywall compound.

It has worked well for me and held up for years so far. I wallpapered over the wall when I was done, so there might be a little added strength from the paper. I'm sure this won't work if the plaster is really bad. In my case, I had a few areas, roughly 8' in diameter, where the plaster surface was generally whole but the keys had obviously broken off. You could wiggle the plaster in and out against the lath but it hadn't yet broken completely free. Your mileage may vary!

Tim
timp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry proctor View Post
It really depends on what your ultimate goal is. Do you want to just fix it so that it works and remodel? Or do you plan to make this a lifelong home and do a really nice job.

I'm doing the same thing now, and I found it easier to do all of my mechanical work while the walls are open. Yes, it's a mess, but if you do it all at once, you can minimize the pain.
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote