Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |

V shaped wall construction

I am building a lake cabin and the front of the cabin has a V shape wall, The nose of the wall extends 2' further out then the ends. The cabin is a one story with loft the front wall is 23 ft high with many windows, My question is: What is this type of wall called, and what are the structural benefits of this wall as opposed to a flat wall.
Thanks
brosnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #2

V shaped works for me, you could call it Obtuse but the truth is you have two walls that meet at an obtuse angle. If you draw a line from one side wall to the other and then a line perpendicular from the point of the V back to that line you will have two triangles.
I know of no structural benifit gained by this it is for esthetics and to give persons inside viewing out a wider field of vision, so you could say it brings more of the outside in.

John
Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
renovations

Agreed, I don't know what it might be called, but it offers no structural benefits, merely architectural.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Guy

I believe this is called a Prow Front. We see in often up here on Chalet styled homes where a view or more light is desired.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote