DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   V shaped wall construction (

brosnt1 01-24-2006 10:05 AM

V shaped wall construction
I am building a lake cabin and the front of the cabin has a V shape wall, The nose of the wall extends 2' further out then the ends. The cabin is a one story with loft the front wall is 23 ft high with many windows, My question is: What is this type of wall called, and what are the structural benefits of this wall as opposed to a flat wall.

Zero Punch 01-24-2006 12:26 PM

V shaped works for me, you could call it Obtuse but the truth is you have two walls that meet at an obtuse angle. If you draw a line from one side wall to the other and then a line perpendicular from the point of the V back to that line you will have two triangles.
I know of no structural benifit gained by this it is for esthetics and to give persons inside viewing out a wider field of vision, so you could say it brings more of the outside in.


Bonus 01-24-2006 06:13 PM

Agreed, I don't know what it might be called, but it offers no structural benefits, merely architectural.

Guy 02-08-2006 02:00 PM

I believe this is called a Prow Front. We see in often up here on Chalet styled homes where a view or more light is desired.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1