Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Share |

using treated lumber for interior vertical studs

Apologies if there is already a topic on this, but I am in the middle of a time-sensitive bathroom reno and need some advice quickly. I have a 1960s house on slab in which we recently demo'd the original tile shower stall and found water and extensive termite damage in the shower surround area on two sides - one side is part of an interior wall and the other is part of the exterior wall of the house. The bottom/sill plates and the bottom sections of the vertical studs on those walls were completely toast and so we are replacing them as part of the reno. The rotted sections of the sill/bottom plates on the two walls have now been replaced with treated lumber - which I think is proper given that they are in contact with concrete. But, we also then went ahead and replaced about 8 vertical studs with pressure treated lumber (thinking this, along with a full termite treatment, would help prevent future termite issues). I have now discovered info online that seems to say doing this is a big no-no, because the lumber is both toxic and can shrink/warp over time. I have many concerns about this, including the fact that the concrete backer for the new tile shower will be nailed into these studs and I don't know if possible warping will cause an issue down the road with the tile in the shower.

We need to decide asap if we need to pull all of those treated vertical studs out and replace them with regular lumber (of what type I am not sure). Has anyone encountered this issue before or have some advice on the matter? Thank you in advance for any info.

keke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Not so new

You are correct on all counts. When those studs dry out you'll have a real mess on your hands. Pull out the pt studs and replace with hem/fir or spf. If you waterproof your new shower it wont leak into the wall cavity causing it to rot again.

12penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #3

thank you so much! only wish I had realized this two days ago before all the studs went up (at least the shower hasn't been installed!).
keke1 is offline   Reply With Quote