Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

Using Sketch Up to create framing plan

I had an architect draw up plans for my upcoming addition project, but she did not include framing plans, which are not required for permits.

I thought I would try to do the framing plans myself using Sketch Up, but I have no real experience with the program and most attempts have failed. Are there any good plugins for stud walls? Or any suggestions for a good tutorial on how to use the program? Any tips, hints or help??

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

I feel for ya guy. I could dig out the old drafting table and hunt up old drawing tools and still get done faster than using such a program. Wish I could help.

btw: if anybody really wants some fun and is into drawing, including 3D and animation, check out blender. It's a freebie . I know it has nothing to do with this thread or really the forum but thought maybe some of the more competent computer users might have a use for it.

http://www.blender.org/

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Yes, there is a very good plugin, HouseBuilder, that has many framing appliications. But if you aren't able to draw the stud walls already (a pretty simple task), using the plugin will probably be too much for you.

Last edited by Willie T; 04-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

I don't use software for framing layout
I draw it up freehand or simply mark out where everything goes on the top & bottom plates
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #5

Thanks everyone.

Willie, your point is well taken. I actually played around a bit with HouseBuilder, but didn't get too far. Can you suggest a good tutorial, manual or other resource for learning the basics of sketchup? I am not too big of a dope, so I should be able to learn, just looking for the best resources to do so.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
Thanks everyone.

Willie, your point is well taken. I actually played around a bit with HouseBuilder, but didn't get too far. Can you suggest a good tutorial, manual or other resource for learning the basics of sketchup? I am not too big of a dope, so I should be able to learn, just looking for the best resources to do so.

Thanks!
I certainly didn't mean to imply you wouldn't soon be able to do just about anything you want in SketchUp. But it does take time - and it's a very progressive and fairly structured learning process. Meaning... you do need to build upon successive tutorials. It is counter productive to skip too many of them. And using the 'crutches' of certain plug-ins makes your overall learning process more difficult.

Here is the site address for one of the best tutorial collections. You may have to register, though. (I think)

http://www.sketchucation.com/

Last edited by Willie T; 04-13-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Old School

Just a quick comment. Most framing plans show only the outlines of where the walls will run. The specific placement of individual studs is seldom considered. You will have window and door placements shown... but even then, you will usually have to refer to a 'schedule' on another page to determine the actual size and height of the windows and doors.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #8

They should have an app for that.
Dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #9

WillieT- Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Honestly, the framing plans are more for my own use than anything else. I thought it would be helpful in developing a takeoff and materials list, to 3d build the structure.

How do you guys do it, just go wall by wall to figure materials?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #10

I usually calc wall by wall on approx needs
I make a rough drawing of each wall w/windows/studs etc
I then count up what I need
I then use the drawings when building the wall

I've found that the time involved to make the framing accurate in a computer program is longer then simply drawing it out
Most lumber yards should be able to plug in what you are doing & give you a rough build list
Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #11

Scuba Dave, do you draw out each wall to scale, or just close enough to figure out what you're doing?

I am sure the lumber yard will do a take off list for me, but given that this is my first big project, I see this as a chance to really walk through it before putting hammer to nail, you know?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #12

Not to scale, just a very rough drawing on 8x11 paper
Basically just a square, outline where I want the windows, then number of studs needed to get to the window
Windows went as far up as possible under mostly 2x12 headers
I built my entire 24x36 addition this way

I also modified a little as I went along
Once I had the garage deck on I outlined on the deck where the windows were going
Then 2x checked the anticipated view
Most things did not move much

And my project was a little different...as I ordered an entire pallet (I think) of 2x6's
Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #13

Haha, yeah, your addition was close to 6 times the size of mine!!. But mine's funkier, I am sure, lots of workarounds and complications related to the property line, old rowhouse, etc., etc.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Military Mom of 4

Doing sketch framing with sketchup is a bit tedious but quite doable.

I've done 3-d sketchups that are proportional (2x4's are a true 1.5 x 3.5 - etc) . . . but it's so tedious.
If you need a 3d movable figure to look at, though, you can do a stick-figure mockup in sketchup, without the porportions - using lines instead of dimensional figures for joists, etc, and then texting in the measurements and so on - that way you can print it out.

But framing is very basic - with the amount of time it takes to work up a 3d image to help you figure out where things could be placed you could mark things out in your room and make some progress in that area.

Walls are basic - every 16" is the center of a stud.
Corners, doorways and windows might be a little more complicated - but no matter how well it's mapped out on paper you still have to map it out on your studs and draw your marks, anyway.

I think that perhaps some articles or a book on the basics of how to frame these things would be just as handy.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #15

Get a copy of "Sketchup for Dummies" it's cheap and quite helpful. I bought a brand new copy off ebay for $10.00 with shipping. Most libraries have it as well.

rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote