Using Recycled Asphalt For Driveway? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using Recycled Asphalt for Driveway?

I have approx. 600 feet of driveway that needs to be done and am hesitant to use driveway gravel because I have had construction crews in and out of my property over the last month or so and they have pulverized the existing gravel into dust. I was thinking that recycled asphalt would be a better, less dusty solution but am unsure of the steps in installing it in a way that will last.

The basic driveway has a good crown on it and was wondering if i could apply recycled asphalt directly on top of the tightly packed dirt or if I need to put a good road base or gravel down first. What I plan to do is to have recycled asphalt spread approx 4" thick over the dirt and rent a small roller compactor to compact the material into a more dense form. I have read to spray a light coat of diesel over the asphalt as a binder before compacting it. It will keep asphalt from sticking to roller and also bind the small pieces of asphalt together. What I can't find info on is whether I need to install road base or install directly on top of the dirt.

I'm not looking for a perfectly finished driveway, just something that will produce less dust in these dry Texas summers. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

toddtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,194

If you want your driveway to last, you absolutely need a good base of well draining material. "Road base" typically consists of crushed stone, and is generally used for this purpose. The asphalt you place for the top can be recycled or new, regardless you need a well drained base. If you don't care how long the driveway lasts, you can save some money by skipping the base material, and putting down a lift of asphalt directly on the soil, but it will deteriorate quickly and will need to be redone frequently.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input. How thick should the base material be? How thick should the recycled asphalt be? How much will the asphalt compact with a roller?

I definitely don't want to do this again in a few years so want to do it right the first time.
toddtx is offline   Reply With Quote